Is it possible to play a mission that is a higher level then you?

GLa-DOS

I'm a level 12 Imperial Operative. There is a mission to go to Ballmora and next to the mission it says level 15. So, my question is not "is it possible", it's more like "can it be done", as in, will I get killed the second I start a fight because the mission level is higher than my level.

At lower levels :

Possible : Yes

Harder to achieve : Yes

At higher levels (lvl 35+ quests and being only a sweet lovely 32-ish) :

Possible : Yes

Hard to achieve : More chances of dying then actual achieving (difficulty from 35+ mobs is harder then the usual mofo at lower levels because you need more work to nuke them down in the first place)

I'm a level 12 Imperial Operative. There is a mission to go to Ballmora and next to the mission it says level 15. So, my question is not "is it possible", it's more like "can it be done", as in, will I get killed the second I start a fight because the mission level is higher than my level.

Whenever you get assigned to a new planet in your questline, there's a few "get started" quests that, while assigned a level, really don't have much combat in them. So you should be able to milk those for XP.

That said, you might consider hanging around Dromund Kaas a bit longer, do some quests you skipped, maybe do the heroic ones with some friends. Agents tend to be ... squishy.