Alacrity: Burst vs Sustained

RuQu

There are good arguments for Alacrity being worthwhile if you don't assume sustained HPS, but instead do a burst rotation. To explore this I added Burst and Sustained buttons to my calculator and ran the Compute Alacrity function.

Commando Chart

Run settings and Rotations:

Sustained: 300s

Start with 0 CSC

MP if after AP

SCC whenever possible

AP

AP cannot drop us below 4 Ammo in SCC

RC used when Ammo drops below 9

BI

MP if above 10 Ammo

HS

Burst: 30s

Start with 30CSC

MP if after AP

SCC whenever possible

AP

AP cannot drop us below 2 Ammo in SCC

RC used when Ammo drops below 5

BI

MP with no limit

HS

Not quite what I expected, though I shouldn't be surprised as the rotation is the same, just more aggressive. I expected that the decreased concern for the resources would tend to allow for higher HPS in bursts as Alacrity increased. It did do so, but just like with the Sustained rotation, all of the increase comes from gaining additional Hammer Shots. The AP+MP count for the 30s stays at a fluctuating 16-17 across the entire spread of Alacrity %s, while Hammer Shot count rises from an initial 0 to a max of 7.

I was really expecting to change my mind here, and declare Alacrity worthwhile for Commandos who do a burst-style, but the data doesn't support it.

I guess I'd still recommend "Get enough that people don't die waiting on your heal and then avoid it" works as a good general rule, considering that the sim HPS result for +1 point of Alacrity can vary quite a bit due to it changing the order of the rotation, which makes it the hardest to put a real weight on.