Flares...... Any use in PvP?

They should make it a combat breaker.

It's not like we can sprint off or stealth.

Flares should break combat in PvP so we can heal up.

I kinda like that idea.. It makes sense too. Blind your enemy for a short while to make a clean getaway or heal up. 4 seconds or something like that.

Depends on what you are talking about.

Most of us have access to the flare gun and we also have access to the class perk "flares".

"Flares" are intended as a PVE option only. They serve no purpose in PVP. Assuming you are in 1 vs 1 with each player using a companion, your flare is going to do nothing to prevent the other player's companion from attacking you.

As for the flare gun (which has a one min cooldown) this can have its uses in PVP but only if you can coordinate it ahead of time.

For example ...

In civil War if you are solo defending and attacked you can shoot the flare as a distress call. It is quicker than typing.

In Voidstar, you can use the flare gun to rally at a specific door. Or if you are a healer, you can use it to let your team mates know where you are at if they need heals.

In Huttball, ball handlers can use the flare gun if they need help.

Even on Ilum the flare gun can be used to rally people to a specific location.

All in all, the flare gun is probably the least used useful tool we get with the pre-orders. It only surprises me that they are used so seldom in PVP.

+1 for breaking target/canceling attack. Right now it's pretty much a useless ability. I don't think I've ever used it with benefit even in PvE, which I mostly do solo. It's not an instant agro breaker and as a DPS Merc, you are just going to aggro right away anyway. Maybe in a group where you want to lose agro, but a good tank should take care of that anyway.

Having a useless skill for PvP is such a waste.

I'd like to see it work as a break-lock with a cure for any movement inhibits. It should be used as a means of trying to exit a fight or get out of target range, which would be highly beneficial to a class that is rather immobile.

I disagree with you there. Chaff Flare is useful in group PVE content, namely flashpoints. It doesn't hurt for us to help the tank by being proactive with our aggro-reducer, especially since we can put out so much damage, ESPECIALLY since we can also heal ourselves in a pinch. And for Bodyguards, switch those two things around to arrive at much the same point.

Aggro management isn't just the tank's concern.