Arsenal PVP Spec (cookie cutter)

ogchad

I went to 50 with arsenal before respecing to firebug. IMO firebug owns arsenal hard. Arsenal is very stationary & turns you into a target in pvp, as arsenal I did good in pvp, as firebug I do GREAT. Almost always over 300k damage and 35+ kills (over 50 if the team is light on heals) with less than 5 deaths. It could be that it fits my play style better, but I LOVE it.

the problem with putting points into cardio package or enviro suit is that arsenal isnt very tanky to begin with so youre adding a small amount to what is already a small amount. i personally believe (and it seems like most people agree) that pouring as many points into dps is the way to go since thats what we do best, the best defense...

I went to 50 with arsenal before respecing to firebug. IMO firebug owns arsenal hard. Arsenal is very stationary & turns you into a target in pvp, as arsenal I did good in pvp, as firebug I do GREAT. Almost always over 300k damage and 35+ kills (over 50 if the team is light on heals) with less than 5 deaths. It could be that it fits my play style better, but I LOVE it.

isnt firebug spec for powertech only? i know u can go into pyrotech as merc but isnt firebug for powertech only?

This is what I'm running:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300McZMIkbRrdRzfzZzc.1

Because my accuracy is over 100 (actually sitting at 110 right now) with pvp gear on I took points out of advanced targeting in favor of integrated cardio package. I also decided to fully talent Power Overrides because I find myself overheating quite a bit in WZ's like Voidstar when I'm able to hide behind boxes and just dps like crazy, so the lowered cooldown on thermal sensor override helps - as well as being able to concussion missile more often for turret ninja'ing/interrupting healers and in open world pvp - I will usually toss concussion missile on enemy companions or use it to make an escape on Ilum.

I'm sure that many people would say that the 3 percent endurance from integrated cardio package isnt that helpful, but i could say the same about a whopping 3 percent accuracy when i'm already sitting pretty comfortably :p

i currently prefer 3/32/6

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#3000cZMIkrRrdRzczZcc.1

this is what im using: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300McZMIkbRrdRzszZf.1

ive heard that putting two points into critical reaction in the bodyguard tree is better than 2 points into system calibrations but its personal preference imo

both critical reaction and system calibration is pointless, you have no need for alacrity ever as an arsenal spec

also if your gear is actually decent you will rarely if ever be using vent heat (you get enough from critical heat venting) which makes the points in improved vents also a waste

Here's a Hybrid build I'm working on.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300ZMIk0RrdkzZfhbrzh.1

But it quite buggers me, since I still don't know which Gas Cylinder to use. 35% AP is a hell of a cost for that extra dot.

It's not that stupid, and you only miss out on the heatseekers, but BH has plenty of AoE anyways.

this is a waste, especially for pvp. arsenal spec already has enough issues with mobility and you just dropped the biggest damage on the move shot (heat seeker) which also wastes a huge purpose of tracer missile (heat sigs to build up heat seeker damage)

you are wasting alot of points to get 2 skills that serve the same filler purpose (tracer, incendiary) where if you arent even going to the top of the tree youd be nearly as serviced by power shots

this build is terrible, wastes more than half of your points and completely ignores the build up cycles of both trees

This is what I'm running:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300McZMIkbRrdRzfzZzc.1

Because my accuracy is over 100 (actually sitting at 110 right now) with pvp gear on I took points out of advanced targeting in favor of integrated cardio package. I also decided to fully talent Power Overrides because I find myself overheating quite a bit in WZ's like Voidstar when I'm able to hide behind boxes and just dps like crazy, so the lowered cooldown on thermal sensor override helps - as well as being able to concussion missile more often for turret ninja'ing/interrupting healers and in open world pvp - I will usually toss concussion missile on enemy companions or use it to make an escape on Ilum.

I'm sure that many people would say that the 3 percent endurance from integrated cardio package isnt that helpful, but i could say the same about a whopping 3 percent accuracy when i'm already sitting pretty comfortably :p

accuracy is more important than most people realize

try asking around and seeing what peoples defenses are at. in pve you only need to go to 110% but in pvp, many players (and tanks are higher than this) will be in the 30 to 40% kinetic reduction range as a base, by the time you add in defense buffs they can reach 50%

how does this affect you? 35% armor pen reduces base armor which reduces % by said amount, even factoring in multiple tracers (which you may not have time to get full cycle) you would be cutting that factor by at most 60% which if you do the math means you may still need to overcome 20 to 30% reduction (which would require 120 to 130% accuracy for 100% true penetration)

there is a reason the highest gear comes with so much accuracy, when you start facting enemies with more than 20% defenses you need accuracy over 110% along with your armor pen to hit for full damage

accuracy is more important than most people realize

try asking around and seeing what peoples defenses are at. in pve you only need to go to 110% but in pvp, many players (and tanks are higher than this) will be in the 30 to 40% kinetic reduction range as a base, by the time you add in defense buffs they can reach 50%

how does this affect you? 35% armor pen reduces base armor which reduces % by said amount, even factoring in multiple tracers (which you may not have time to get full cycle) you would be cutting that factor by at most 60% which if you do the math means you may still need to overcome 20 to 30% reduction (which would require 120 to 130% accuracy for 100% true penetration)

there is a reason the highest gear comes with so much accuracy, when you start facting enemies with more than 20% defenses you need accuracy over 110% along with your armor pen to hit for full damage

I'm aware of all this, but we're talking about a measly 2 percent accuracy, which as I continue gearing up will be more than accounted for. I just consider it a personal preference that I like to have the extra hp. Sure, it may only let me live for one or two extra hits, but one or two extra hits can be the difference between life or death sometimes - often when fighting sentinels/commandos in a 1v1 situation the win comes down to whoever gets the last hit in.

this is a waste, especially for pvp. arsenal spec already has enough issues with mobility and you just dropped the biggest damage on the move shot (heat seeker) which also wastes a huge purpose of tracer missile (heat sigs to build up heat seeker damage)

you are wasting a lot of points to get 2 skills that serve the same filler purpose (tracer, incendiary) where if you aren't even going to the top of the tree you'd be nearly as serviced by power shots

this build is terrible, wastes more than half of your points and completely ignores the build up cycles of both trees

I've tried at this build and its not without merit, instead of spamming tracer he uses it when he doesn't have railshot and unload ripping you apart and oh god if his 65% armor ignoring Railshot proc and double crits (which is a pretty high chance with the right gear and Eliminator 4piece bonus). Basically you use a tracer to start setting up railshots hit hope for proc off of unload and if not go back to a few tracers to drop your armor even more and restock his buff to railshot to blast away again. I see the set up and runs a totally different rotation than strait arsenal essentially he's playing an arsenal more like a pyro.

To clear up he didn't spen points in Incenary missile to get a on demand Dot which he does get but spent it there because he has to inorder to get the Unload proc for railshot.

and buy the way go with the armor reducing cannister the pyro ones not really that usefull unless you also want the snare.

Edited by Plaxy

isnt firebug spec for powertech only? i know u can go into pyrotech as merc but isnt firebug for powertech only?

firebug = pyrotech. BW changed the name from firebug to pyrotech just to confuse us more

Here's a Hybrid build I'm working on.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300ZMIk0RrdkzZfhbrzh.1

But it quite buggers me, since I still don't know which Gas Cylinder to use. 35% AP is a hell of a cost for that extra dot.

It's not that stupid, and you only miss out on the heatseekers, but BH has plenty of AoE anyways.

HSM is not an aoe, its a high damage single target attack

i currently prefer 3/32/6

both critical reaction and system calibration is pointless, you have no need for alacrity ever as an arsenal spec

also if your gear is actually decent you will rarely if ever be using vent heat (you get enough from critical heat venting) which makes the points in improved vents also a waste

i consider my build a pve/pvp hybrid since i use it for both. in this scenario improved vents is used for boss fights since combat length is much more pronounced than in pvp. its also useful in pvp when you are not using your single target rotation (ie. aoe rotation/healing), i use it more than youd think. endurance also isnt needed in this build because you shouldnt be taking damage in pve and i dont believe 5% is worth the points for pvp. alacrity is debatable, although i should test if there is any noticeable difference without it

Edited by Cegenaus

you are wasting alot of points to get 2 skills that serve the same filler purpose (tracer, incendiary) where if you arent even going to the top of the tree youd be nearly as serviced by power shots

Rail Shot has even more dmg with Tracer Lock so I'm not sure what I'm dropping here. And I can proc it with Unload and PS, can I do the same with Heatseeker?

that's quite common, yes (5/31/5). i use that too

I think that putting 6 points into the Bodyguard tree is very beneficial. Use the 6th point to grab 'supercharged gas', this will give you some flexibility in your heat usage. If you start off in 'combat support stance' (healing stance) you will get charges from using your blasters for attacking or healing, once you get 30 you have a full supercharged gass charge. You can pop your supercharged gas and in this time you can basically spam power shot or heals at 0 heat cost all the while your heat meter is cooling down. Basically you get a free 'vent heat' without actually using the vent heat ability. Once you are cooled down you switch back to a higher DPS stance, (I personally use the armor penetration stance). Now you can use all your abilities again until you are overheated, use vent heat and now you are heat free again and able to stream some more dps.

It is very beneficial in PvE, and also pretty beneficial in PvP when you are in constant battle. The biggest enemy to an Arsenal merc is his heat meter.... Oh yah, and interupts.. But that is another topic.

Edited by XOrionX