The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[PVP] Fresh 50, what do i buy first?

I just hit level 50 on my powertech. I'm not really sure which of the three specs i'm gonna play the most yet, I really like all three, but i'm not sure what pieces to buy first PVP gear wise.

I have 90 centurion commendations and 42 champion commendations.

Should I buy set pieces first for the set bonus of whatever spec i decide to focus on first? or should i buy offset pieces like ear and implants? Or maybe the weapon first?

And once i figure out what to buy first, which ones are ok to buy first with centurion and which should i only bother to buy with champion commendations?

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't purchase armor sets untill you know what spec you want to play. The debate ranges then on which one to pick. Most people go Combat Tech/Eliminator, with Elim being pure pyro dps. Most importantly, replace the pieces you NEED to replace. If yu have any columi gear dont replace it with Centurian untill said piece is the next one you willg et the largest stat bonuses from.

Go here for a fairly reasonable analysis of how to spend your commendations (this is the guide I used): http://mmoverflow.com/2012/02/swtor-pvp-gear-information/

Centurion Commendations are very easy to come by if you do your dailies and weeklies, so feel free to spend them as you please (don't ge the Centurion weapon, though). After you purchase your Champion Eliminator blaster, feel free to start upgrading your Centurion pieces.

Yes, 1.2 is coming soon, but not before the third or fourth week of this month (1.1.5 is this Tuesday, but 1.2 is going to require way too much testing to be ready the following Tuesday).

That said, by the 1.2 hits the live servers you will have PvPed enough (if you make sure to do your dailies and weeklies) to hit rank 60 valor to begin your Battlemaster grind, meaning Champion and Centurion commendations and tokens should be spent now since saving them for later would be pointless as you will no longer need them.

I suggest you get the Centurion and Champion Combat Tech set (or Eliminator if you are dead set on PyroTech) pieces and save any Battlemaster commendations/tokens for 1.2. I myself am fully decked out in Centurion gear with Champion chest and blaster only after one week of PvP (and saving for a few Champion bags the second I hit 50 last week).