What is the focus tree best for?

Swirk

I was originally focusing on the combat tree, mostly just because of... well, no reason really. Level 27 now, decided to respec into focus because I liked the look of it better once I actually started looking at all the talents. Anywho, I find myself wailing on npcs much faster and more efficiently now. So I'm guessing it is more of a PvE thing?

Admittedly I am only level 27, so I don't have enough to be able to comment on it, which is why I am asking.

PVE: utterly destroying standard/weak NPCs so you can get right to the elites/bosses.

PVP: whomping on everyone around nodes/doors/the huttball/etc.

Focus shines when you're facing groups of multiple enemies. You also get a pretty nice speed/defensive boost with fast-to-permanent Transcendence.

In other words, AOE damage at melee range.

awesome AoE attack with Sweep with a little set up. At 50 in a little gear in warzones you'll hit people for 3k+ with sweep regular. It's great for helping defend. Other good thing is that you get a cooldown reduction on Guarded byteh Force... the greatest weapon we have, with gear you get what 45s on that ability or something stupid like that.

That... and Force Exhaustion... like that thing is just awesome.

Speed buff is cool, lots of crit dmg on force abilities and crit %. It's pretty good in PvP. In PvE it's a trash clearer, you can obliterate adds with sweeps on boss fights and such. I wouldn't think it's nearly as effective in PvE as Watchman or Combat is... and if you role with a DPS Smuggler or Trooper they have some high end AoE stuff that is pretty rocking.

'

I lvled up in Focus until lvl 40 when I could take MercSlash in watchman and found that to be the best build for me after that. I flirt with Combat every now and then but haven't tried Focus in a long time, I find it's too easy to blow your sweep if you're punted or what not.

Edited by KruelhandJorb

Come on man. Not everyone can jam a keyboard like a rock star. Not everyone was give to skill to play Jukebox Hero with their Sentinel.

Yet SWTOR wanted people that are slow, with one arm, that mouseclick every ability to be able to at least play the game.

Enter the Focus Spec.

Come on man. Not everyone can jam a keyboard like a rock star. Not everyone was give to skill to play Jukebox Hero with their Sentinel.

Yet SWTOR wanted people that are slow, with one arm, that mouseclick every ability to be able to at least play the game.

Enter the Focus Spec.

Focus is easy to play, but after rotating a week in each of the three trees this past month, I will say that it is no easier to play well than watchman or combat. I'd actually say that watchman is easier to post big warzone numbers with and get kills with.

Doing well with focus comes down to being able to stack focus well, and then time your force sweep with the final tick of force exhaustion, and being able to do it without getting CC'd. I found this a bit tougher that using what is pretty much a set damage rotation with watchman.

Watchman is also a little more forgiving for screwing up. If you pop zen and don't get to put your dots on a target because of CC's it's no big deal as you build centering so fast. If you miss force sweep it takes a while to build back the focus you need to get all your buffs up and be able to follow it with enough damage to finish the target.