The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Key Bindings & Warzones

DorthSidious

I'm a LVL 38 Bounty Hunter Powertech, First time i'm setting up my key bindings.

For my action bar, what abilities would be best to put onto the action bar. (For the top/bottom) Ive noticed some people switch the top abilities to the bottom? Is that easier?)

Also when it comes to moving around, should I use the regular control keys or shoultd I swap the WASD to ESDF?

its a matter of what makes you feel more comfortable, every other MMO (that i have played) put the main bar (1 - =)on the bottem so people set it to do the same including myself, personally i set up left side shift+ (1-5) and CTRL+ (1-5) then right is f1-f12 while top bar is all my letters and mouse buttons.....main bar is all my instant cast, left is all my CD related skills and my letters are my ''oh cr*p'' buttons while my function keys are buffs and out of combat stuff. again its just what im used to, if you are going to make a drastic change to your keys in this fashion i suggest you make a new char for a couple of levels to get used to it

with WASD and ESDF i set up a thread to ask the same question, to be honest unless you are a mara or sentinal its not going to matter all that much as long as you can use shift/ctrl or alt modifiers, i personally use WASD as i dont have a mouse with a thousand buttons on it as WASD is a little easier to hit shift were as ESDF opens up more letters and one more number it also depends on your spec and if you do pvp or pve as some skills wont work in either and some trees require you to use ''this'' more then ''that''

Edited by Rocco_

I'm a LVL 38 Bounty Hunter Powertech, First time i'm setting up my key bindings.

For my action bar, what abilities would be best to put onto the action bar. (For the top/bottom) Ive noticed some people switch the top abilities to the bottom? Is that easier?)

Also when it comes to moving around, should I use the regular control keys or shoultd I swap the WASD to ESDF?

I prefer mouse movement, rotation is..very situational and dependent upon play style and what is and isn't on CD. It also varies upon what you are trying to do, PVE Tank? PvP?

its a matter of what makes you feel more comfortable, every other MMO (that i have played) put the main bar (1 - =)on the bottem so people set it to do the same including myself, personally i set up left side shift+ (1-5) and CTRL+ (1-5) then right is f1-f12 while top bar is all my letters and mouse buttons.....main bar is all my instant cast, left is all my CD related skills and my letters are my ''oh cr*p'' buttons while my function keys are buffs and out of combat stuff. again its just what im used to, if you are going to make a drastic change to your keys in this fashion i suggest you make a new char for a couple of levels to get used to it

with WASD and ESDF i set up a thread to ask the same question, to be honest unless you are a mara or sentinal its not going to matter all that much as long as you can use shift/ctrl or alt modifiers, i personally use WASD as i dont have a mouse with a thousand buttons on it as WASD is a little easier to hit shift were as ESDF opens up more letters and one more number it also depends on your spec and if you do pvp or pve as some skills wont work in either and some trees require you to use ''this'' more then ''that''

Thanks Rocco, I'm new with MMO's..so I've been trying to see how others would set up their key bindings..once I know what ability to use & what key I'd pick things up quickly..I only have two side buttons on my mouse so what would be the two abilities to set up on there?

Edited by DorthSidious

Thanks Rocco, I'm new with MMO's..so I've been trying to see how others would set up their key bindings..once I know what ability to use & what key I'd pick things up quickly..I only have two side buttons on my mouse so what would be the two abilities to set up on there?

i have the same type mouse, but i made these buttons into modifiers (shift and ctrl) makes life easier but takes a few fights to get used too

Edited by Rocco_

When I started in Swtor I started fresh with my keybinds moving from another MMO.

This is the most enlightening guide to keybinding you will find:

http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/

It may help to know he allso created the "Iron Fist" Powertech build and I have found his Powertech guide to be amazingly useful in informing my own play style:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/04/guide-to-bounty-hunter-powertech-trooper-vanguard-mechanics-and-pvp/

KB/Mouse vs GameBoard/Mouse

I agree KB/Mouse is good to stick with for consistency especially if you travel. However I have since remapped my KB keys to a Logitech G13 Game Board. (I only use the thumbstick on DC Universe Online so far)

The second reason for G13 is the placement of the caps lock key and tab buttons on KB. On G13 I can move shift and control buttons up to replace Tab and CapsLock's positions and move Tab over to the button near the thumb stick. This automatically gives more flexibility to overlaying shift/ctrl versions of a centralized set of keys rather than having them more spread out across the keyboard.

For toons of different classes I try to be consistent (like Taugrim) putting the Movement, CC, Damage, Healing keys in the same general place (but I use a different layout than his)

My layout has experienced 'genetic drift' and does not adhere to Taugrim's.

My Keymapping

My keymapping something *like* below. It centers around W and R as strafe left/right. I have no forward nor backwards nor turn keys mapped. That's all mouse movement and auto run button. I had to translate this back from my G13 to normal keyboard.

This is also based on a DPS powertech.

• W / R - Strafe left / right
  • 1 Explosive Dart
  • 2 Flame Burst (I circle strafe right a lot using this and rocket punch to reset high impact bolt)
  • 3 Rapid Shots (spammable skills should be on 3)
  • 4 Incindiary misslie (combat starter to get dot up for rail shot)
  • 5 Unload
  • E - High Impact Bolt (since it's vital to build)
  • shift-E Explosive fuel (crit buff I keep up always for rocket punch etc)
  • D - Rocket punch (melee, also vital to build)
  • shift-d Retractable blade (melee, for rail shots and for more dots)
  • Middle mouse - Tenacity to Break cc
  • Left side mouse button - Quell (interrupt)
  • S - grapple
  • T - Death from above
  • Y - Protoype Flame Thrower (main melee range aoe)
  • B - Energy Shield (Bubble)
  • X - Vent Heat
  • G - Spinning flame attack (forgot name)
  • H - Heals (Rakata or other medpack)

Also nearby keys

Hydraulic Overrides, I often hit this at same time as Tenacity)

Carbonize

Missile blast

Neural Dart, Sonic Missile (I only use these in warzones or rare off-tanking)

Guard

Rakata medpack or regular medpack

Relic buffs

For PVE I have map, inventory and autorun on mouse buttons since I use map overlay enough for objectives to keep it close to my movement controls. (I use a Logitech G700 with extra buttons mapped but most are non-essential so that I don't require my G700 mouse to play on a different computer)

PS - The OP mentioned they were somewhat new. This is a lot of overhwelming detail. However I find that my enjoyment of pvp increased significantly vs other games because I paid attention to how I would set up and relearn a keymapping.

The main goal is not to have to click with your mouse on your toolbar.

The main goal of using only W and R is to both free up more keybind buttons and to free up your fingers to press those keys when quick reactions are required.

What I find is that I am much more agile now and PVP is MUCH more fun now that I am not trying to click any skills on toolbar while I'm trying to move around the battlefield. In PVE I find I have more time to pay attention to environmental dangers and positioning of other players and NPCs.

Edited by KangasCollective