How does dual wield work?

Morrgans

Hi Peeps!

Well I do know that dual wielding allows you to equip a second lightsaber (or blaster pistol). So you have this "bonus" attack mentioned on your character sheet. so lets say you do 150-200 primary damage and 35-50 bonus off-hand damage.

As the offhand has also a reduced chance to hit (65% IIRC) you only get the bonus damage 2/3ds of the time. A...ha!

Now to my question:

As there is no auto-attack but skills we use (even the filler is a skill) we have only the damage in the ability.

Say, our "slash" does 400-450 damage, attacks with both sabers if dual wielding. What happens now?

I hit, do the 400-450 damage and have 65% chance to do 35-50 more damage?

If yes, what about abilities that hit multiple times? Like master strike... channeling the 750-900 damage over 3 seconds... hits with both sabers. 35-50 every time or only once?

Has anybody figured that out? :confused:

Cheers

Hi Peeps!

Well I do know that dual wielding allows you to equip a second lightsaber (or blaster pistol). So you have this "bonus" attack mentioned on your character sheet. so lets say you do 150-200 primary damage and 35-50 bonus off-hand damage.

As the offhand has also a reduced chance to hit (65% IIRC) you only get the bonus damage 2/3ds of the time. A...ha!

Now to my question:

As there is no auto-attack but skills we use (even the filler is a skill) we have only the damage in the ability.

Say, our "slash" does 400-450 damage, attacks with both sabers if dual wielding. What happens now?

I hit, do the 400-450 damage and have 65% chance to do 35-50 more damage?

If yes, what about abilities that hit multiple times? Like master strike... channeling the 750-900 damage over 3 seconds... hits with both sabers. 35-50 every time or only once?

Has anybody figured that out? :confused:

Cheers

Master strike has a chance for an off-hand hit on each of the three attacks that comprise it. I am unsure of other channeled attacks. Each instant melee (not force) attack also has a chance of an off-hand hit. Most of my instant melee hits get an off-hand hit every time. That said, it's not a ton of damage.

For the most part, it seems OH items are really stat sticks. Guardian Knights don't get a 2nd saber, but they're not missing out on a ton of damage because they get focii/shields. I think the main strength of a 2nd saber is from potential Ataru procs from OH hits in Combat.

That's true. If you keep the buff from blade rush up you will almost always get an ataru proc off of each strike since it can proc off of either the main or off hand.

Ok... so a focus guardian should be on par with a focus sentinel... but in heavy armour... muhahahahahahahaaa (sweep) eat this (sweep)

Of course in operations PBAOEing the hell out of an encounter is getting you a beating faster than saying cc-breaker...

Thanks all!

Olaf

Blade Rush appears to have a 100% chance to proc an Ataru Strike not 30%. I don't believe offhands can proc, it appears to be ability based.

Offhand's are more than just a stat stick. They give you 30% to 66% more weapon damage. Offhands scale with ability coefficients. It's a pretty solid advantage. A lot of people get confused and look at it as a stat stick because it doesn't double dip into bonus damage- which would make it grossly overpowered. There is no "chance" to attack with the offhand. If an ability says it strikes with both weapons, it strikes with both weapons. Otherwise, it does not.

Edit:

On your slash example, if your tooltip says 500 damage for Slash, that is 500 damage if both weapons hit. The offhand suffers a penalty to accuracy. The offhand damage is included in abilities that attack with both weapons.

Edited by Coramac

Blade Rush appears to have a 100% chance to proc an Ataru Strike not 30%. I don't believe offhands can proc, it appears to be ability based.

Blade Rush guarantees an Ataru proc, and increases the chance for further procs by 30% for 6s afterwards.

In my testing, it was not 30% but 100%.

It's 100% on the blade rush hit itself, than an additional 30% (on top of the base 20% proc rate) for 6 seconds on all melee abilities. Ataru can indeed proc off of both main and off-hand hits, but is limited to procing once every 1.5 seconds, so if it does proc off the main hit it will not proc off of the off-hand hit. With a 50% proc chance it will proc very frequently off of either the main or off hand, so that may make the proc rate appear to be 100%. When testing with strike after blade rush I did find the occasional hit not triggering an ataru hit though, so it is not 100%.

It's 100% on the blade rush hit itself, than an additional 30% (on top of the base 20% proc rate) for 6 seconds on all melee abilities. Ataru can indeed proc off of both main and off-hand hits, but is limited to procing once every 1.5 seconds, so if it does proc off the main hit it will not proc off of the off-hand hit. With a 50% proc chance it will proc very frequently off of either the main or off hand, so that may make the proc rate appear to be 100%. When testing with strike after blade rush I did find the occasional hit not triggering an ataru hit though, so it is not 100%.

The proc rate is 75% if it can proc off either hand with the Blade Rush buff. I tested 30 Slashes. 100% proc had an Ataru Strike. The probability of this being coincidence is .02%. I'll test again tonight, but I'm pretty confident it's a tooltip error like Opportune Attack.

I'm also pretty sure my testing with the base proc chance reflected a 20% proc chance on ability use not a 36% chance.

The proc rate is 75% if it can proc off either hand with the Blade Rush buff. I tested 30 Slashes. 100% proc had an Ataru Strike. The probability of this being coincidence is .02%. I'll test again tonight, but I'm pretty confident it's a tooltip error like Opportune Attack.

I'm also pretty sure my testing with the base proc chance reflected a 20% proc chance on ability use not a 36% chance.

You may be correct. It's dreadfully difficult to do meaningful testing without a combat log.

You may be correct. It's dreadfully difficult to do meaningful testing without a combat log.

It's terrible. There's a substantial delay on Ataru procs too as the game has an animation for it. You can interupt the animation with another ability, but the proc doesn't occur until the animation should occur whether or not it actually does or not. You can get 2 procs off Master Strike and I was convinced you could for a long time because the 2nd proc is so delayed.

In my testing, it was not 30% but 100%.

I just retested this last night, and the proc rate off of strike after blade rush was not 100%, and it was more like 50% which would be consistent with strike automatically including an off-hand strike and there being just one chance for the proc to occur per activation of strike. If you are seeing a 100% proc rate on strike after a blade rush, then I think you are bugged because that is not what is happening to me.