The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech Rotation Opinions?

Igneos

Greetings fellow Hunters,

I recently decided to devote my character (level 22) to the Shield Tech specialization tree. My idea is to progress through the levels as a tank so that when I reach end game, I know beyond a doubt what I am doing, and how to properly tank.

The rotation that I've come up with so far is as follow:

Death from Above followed by Oil Slick to open (and refreshed on cooldown), Rocket Punch, Rail Shot, Rapid Shot, Flame Burst, Rapid Shot, Rail Shot, Rapid shot.

Then rinse and repeat.

Does this look acceptable for holding threat and actually doing my job?

My idea is to progress through the levels as a tank so that when I reach end game, I know beyond a doubt what I am doing, and how to properly tank.

If this is the goal, abandon the notion of rotations now. I can't speak for other tank classes, but BH tanking is all about managing multiple cooldowns and procs and choosing the best one for the situation. If anything, you have a priority list, rather than a rotation, probably looking something like this:

Rocket Punch = Rail Shot > Explosive Dart > Flamethrower > Flame Burst > Rapid Shots

Defensive cooldowns reduce pressure, and should be used with that goal in mind, rather than "oh no" buttons, generally.

Thank you kindly Pellaz. I hadn't really thought of putting the skills in a queue, but that's a darn good idea. I kind of like it more than a set rotation as it probably gives more flexibility in fights.

One question though: Should I replace Flamethrower with Flame Sweep when I acquire the skill?

I read the tooltip and FS looks to be superior, but I'm no expert so I thought I'd ask.

Edited by Igneos
Grammar

No, not at all...Flame Sweep is good for hitting a lot of mobs while being mobile, but it doesn't have any place in normal tanking priority. The situations in which you will want to use Flame Sweep it will be one of your top priorities, but in all other situations you won't ever use it.

This basically comes down to the fact that FT costs less heat per second (by a ton in comparison to Flame Sweep) and does more damage. Since FT is so efficient due to the previous factors and the fact that it's elemental, it makes sense to use it verses a single target. Flame Sweep, however, should never, ever be used verses a single target.