Choosing a class

Strannix

Hey all, I'm currently in a bind at the moment. I started a bounty hunter on a server as a mercenary to level 32, I really like the character but the server has dwindled down a bit so I've rerolled on a higher pop server as republic. Currently I'm having a hard time finding a new char I'd like to play as a main, I started with a Jedi Guardian of which I like. I just can't see myself as a tank in the long run, I want to be dps bound. I talked to a couple of people online but still couldn't get a definitive solution. So far I'm thinking either a commando or sage but uncertain. I definitely don't want to be a gunslinger/scoundrel. It just doesn't suit me, I assume its basically the same thing as a bh but I'm just not liking the whole space cowboy vibe. I want to be able to put out GOOD dps like my bh mercenary does. Back in vanilla WoW I played and loved being a shaman for the ability to be flexible with dps and 'oh ****' heals. I also had a Warlock that I loved for the maximum dps output and ability to take on many targets at once no problem as well as being pretty effective in pvp. Now, I know this game isn't WoW but I was just using that to hopefully give some of you an idea of the type of playstyle I'm going for. I've heard that the Sentinel is a high dps class but, seeing as how I've already made a Guardian it would take a bit of dps convincing to have me go all the way back and start the same character for 10 levels over again and if the story is sweet.

In closing if any of you could give me as much information about the suggestions on the dps classes I would be really grateful.

Just as an FYI...

Most classes are close enough to each other in their DPS specs that it doesn't matter. pick what you enjoy playing. if you enjoy the guardian playstyle, put your points into one of their DPS trees and be happy.

If you like the idea of a ranged class (you did play one before), then either sage or commando. But keep in mind that the commando is the mirror to your merc...your getting some different animations but that's about it.

Sage can be a fun class to play. I prefer the melee classes myself, but when I'm not playing them, I'm usually on either my sage or my Sorceress (mirror). they aren't as challenging as my jugg/guard, but there is fun in standing back and mowing things down with your project/telekinetic throw. and they have some amazing Cc abilities depending on what tree you take.

That and of course the other side of sage is the healing. end game, you may end up doing either healing or tanking, so it may benefit you to pick your class taking that into account.

not that your going to be forced to tank, but after over a decade in MMO's, I can safely tell you that if you have a tanking/healing option on a class, you will eventually do it(even if it's only occasionally), through your own choice or simply because its easier to get groups. that and it can be fun too :)