What is it with MMO gamers and stupid language?

Crixaliss

I've played various online games in my time, but this is my first real full step into the MMO world. I thought I'd seen it all - people pwning terribad nooblets for teh lulz... but no, apparently I've been missing out on a further lump of this depressingly pitiful speech thats been sitting here in MMOs all along.

Playing the game, you'd think that everything was fine and dandy - all the people I've spoken to in game, all the groups I've joined, everyone's spoken in perfectly normal everyday language, been polite, and not used dumbed down internet-speak. And yet, enter these forums, pick any thread you like to read through and you enter a world with a completely different language.

Ones that have grated on me the most so far browsing these forums:

- Faceroll easy (really doesn't need to be used in every single instance of saying something is easy does it?)

- epeen (come on, really? You're better than this, just use the word ego)

- Carebear (this one is just petty and childish)

And the final one that I actually find mildly amusing, is the insult: 'Kid'. The insulter is clearly only using it as a means to annoy and infuriate the person they're saying it to, which is a rather childish thing to do, thereby turning themselves into a 'kid', the very thing they're suggesting someone else is in order to annoy them... my mind is blown by the stupidity of it all.

We're clearly capable of talking in a normal manner in-game, can't it be the same when posting on the forums please? Enough dumb derogatory comments to people here please :)

No offense OP. If you're bored enough to criticize silly acronyms and phrases that have been commonplace on the Internet for nearly two decades, you should probably find something better to do with your time.

Edited by Chow_Mein

I've played various online games in my time, but this is my first real full step into the MMO world. I thought I'd seen it all - people pwning terribad nooblets for teh lulz... but no, apparently I've been missing out on a further lump of this depressingly pitiful speech thats been sitting here in MMOs all along.

Playing the game, you'd think that everything was fine and dandy - all the people I've spoken to in game, all the groups I've joined, everyone's spoken in perfectly normal everyday language, been polite, and not used dumbed down internet-speak. And yet, enter these forums, pick any thread you like to read through and you enter a world with a completely different language.

Ones that have grated on me the most so far browsing these forums:

- Faceroll easy (really doesn't need to be used in every single instance of saying something is easy does it?)

- epeen (come on, really? You're better than this, just use the word ego)

- Carebear (this one is just petty and childish)

And the final one that I actually find mildly amusing, is the insult: 'Kid'. The insulter is clearly only using it as a means to annoy and infuriate the person they're saying it to, which is a rather childish thing to do, thereby turning themselves into a 'kid', the very thing they're suggesting someone else is in order to annoy them... my mind is blown by the stupidity of it all.

We're clearly capable of talking in a normal manner in-game, can't it be the same when posting on the forums please? Enough dumb derogatory comments to people here please :)

The answer is quite simple: These people are either 13 years old, have the mental capacity of a 13 year old, and/or have the maturity of a 13 year old.

Instead of letting it bother you I would recommend just /ignoring (if it's in-game) and being content with the knowledge that the world will always need people like this to make fries at McDonalds. (It's difficult to get a real job when your resume contains "ur" and "ima")

Well, to be fair, sometimes the opinion they have has been formed due to them having a false sense of entitlement.

Just because someone insults you for having a different opinion doesn't mean your opinion wasn't stupid. Sure, they could have shot it down more politely, but being rude doesn't invalidate a point.

Nobody has insulted me, or accused me of having entitlement issues. My point was I see it used all the time, for little more reason than a differing opinion.

The answer is quite simple: These people are either 13 years old, have the mental capacity of a 13 year old, and/or have the maturity of a 13 year old.

Instead of letting it bother you I would recommend just /ignoring (if it's in-game) and being content with the knowledge that the world will always need people like this to make fries at McDonalds. (It's difficult to get a real job when your resume contains "ur" and "ima")

That, Sir, is one beautiful, and very-very tall horse that you seem to be sitting on.

I've already explained why these words are used, because they say something that no other word can say as fast.

I'm 28, damn near 29, and I use the word faceroll and epeen because there are the fastest way to get those concepts across.

The point of language is the conveyance of information in as fast a way as possible. Using words that are larger just because you think the shorter words are "childish" doesn't make them childish, it makes you pretentious.

Even in writing, the most valuable lesson an author can learn is "If you can say it with 1 word, don't use two."

Flowery words don't get your point across better.

The point of language is the conveyance of information in as fast a way as possible. Using words that are larger just because you think the shorter words are "childish" doesn't make them childish, it makes you pretentious.

In my own opinion, I think the point of language is the expression of an idea or thought to another. If you can express your idea in five words but the person you are talking to cannot grasp your idea, then your language expressions / communication have failed. So while being succinct and efficient in one's word choices is a good idea, one must also consider your intended audience.

That, considering your audience, is also a major rule of writing.

But again, that is more coming from a writing literature background as opposed to a communicating on forums background. Social norms /conventions differ.