[Post 1.2: New GCD Idea] I think you'll like it!

Lauski

The idea came from this old video I stumbled upon, look around 6 minutes in for an example of what look like "snakes" wrapping around each ability for a GCD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGb_JqTlZn8

Neat huh? The first thing I thought was they were easier on the eyes than the current bright "wipe" styles that 1.1.4 will provide in 4 flavors.

The problem I want to solve though is whether it's a "snake", or a "wipe" -- there is a collision of space. What the UI has to tell us without overlapping:

1. When GCD is over
  2. When an ability cooldown is up
  3. When situational abilities are "available" (require a stun or conditional)

*There's also the notion of "range" but this is clear in it's own unique space of "red" numbering.

1.1.4 will help... but you still can be blind (until the GCD is about half way through) as to whether a situational ability (#3) can be used.

GCD Option #5: GCD Snakes on all abilities

This finally would separate (#1 from #2 and #3). -- A GCD like the video, but cooldowns and availability as we have them now.

GCD Option #6: GCD in ONE spot, the Portrait

Another option, my favorite! Get the GCD off all abilities and put it as a circular progression around our character portrait.

Whether it is a "snake" or a "wipe" why do we need to see GCD's on every ability? How about a single spot where it's less annoying, and we can instead use peripheral vision to "feel" or know when it's up...

EXAMPLE:

Something like this, maybe brighter / bolder ( I just color matched ):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/f78kTIsMEz6j_Gj5MNqmvUvjbLOkZx5U1ot-Xoa1ZAY?feat=directlink

(The yellow arrow is just for clarity, not part of the GUI.)

I'm open to any other ideas that avoid this "collision" of space I'm talking about and this spot seemed like an easy place to integrate it. You won't offend me if don't like my idea or have a better one, I just thought I'd get the ball rolling.

Edited by Lauski

I don't understand why this is such a big issue for people. Is 4 options they are implementing not enough? I'd much rather then focus on IMPORTANT stuff.

Edit: I'll admit though, the snakes are cool and easy to understand.

Edited by Zachajariah

I don't understand why this is such a big issue for people. Is 4 options they are implementing not enough? I'd much rather then focus on IMPORTANT stuff.

Edit: I'll admit though, the snakes are cool and easy to understand.

I'm good with things as they are. I mean, I use the flashy thing we have now with no REAL problem.

I just saw these snakes and thought if we had those (which they obviously already had code for at some point) -- or put GCD off to the side, we'd have no problems.

And yeah... I figured post 1.2... after we get some content... come back to it. I'm totally with ya.

Edited by Lauski