Can you make money from slicing?

Plovoon

I know that after it got nerved slicing became pointless. I don't really do crew skills so sending my companions off on slicing missions to bring back pure credits would be great. But if I send my companions on slicing missions will I actually gain money or will I lose it? Or do certain mission reap rewards while others are a waste credits? and if so, which missions are the good ones?

Slicing is pretty good at generating a profit. Lockboxes you find in the wild are nice, and can add up. At level 50, they can also return level 340 mission unlock items, which generally sell for a nice pile of credits on the GTN (except Investigation items). You can easily get 20k+ for a UT mission, for example.

If I'm playing, and my companions aren't crafting, then I have them on Slicing missions. First priority are the "rich" grade 5 missions. These will return level 340 mission unlocks on criticals, just like the grade 6 missions, but the "rich" grade 5 missions can also hit big with the lockboxes, with returns of 4-8k.

Slicing is very streaky, and a lot of your missions will result in small losses, but that's no big deal. The rare criticals more than make up for it.

yes you can make a lot of credits by slicing. It may not be what you think though. Most of the money you make will be by sending your companions on missions. As the person above stated you will get marginal profits or possibly small losses from the lock boxes, but the occasional crafting mission make for huge profits. On my server a purple 340 underworld trading mission can go for over 40k, bioanalysis and treasure hunting are also worth a lot. The only ones that don't get you much are diplomacy and investigation.

On average, sending companions out on missions is "free." While they generally bring back barely enough to cover the mission cost for grade 6 missions, the mission discoveries are where the money lies. Lower level rich and bountiful missions are decent money, they at least turn a profit from the mission cost.

Slicing is a gathering profession. The money is meant to be made from finding random money absolutely everywhere while questing, not from the missions as people tend to think. It puts your character far ahead of the curve if you decide to roll on a new server, easily enough to afford all the training and mounts.