Let's make a fan contest

Angedechu

If only for trying to get a single popular topic that is not about complaints...

My idea is very simple : I would like to organize a sort of writing contest. The goal ? Write something related to TOR, under a thematic. (So many people complain about the writing in game, they surely would want to show up their craft)

The prize ? The winner might attract the attention of Bioware, who know. No seriously, there will be of course no prize, except moral victory.

As for the thematic, I read today my share of ''Bioware is not original'' and I recently bought Shatterpoint. So why not assume that originality is hard to achieve, and try to make something not unlike Heart of Darkness ?

Of course Bioware game story line is not original. Every bioware game pretty much follows Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey, so is every other fantasy/popular books/movies/games out there. One way or another, the story can be categorized into different types of structure, and characters can be categorized into archetypes. These structures and archetypes are imbedded in our collective cognition, so we easily recognize it, relate to it, and be moved by it.

The only difference is how to presend these archetypes and story structure. Bioware did a great job (most of the time.....). I often laugh at the comment (or images, charts) demonstrating how similar bioware stories are. It's not some industry secret the company trying to fool the player with. It's a known literature theory and has been in practice since human start telling stories.

But yeah.... if anyone think they can do better, I'm all for innovation!