New to MMOs need help with Sith marauder

JacobSpurr

So as the title says, I am completely new to MMO's. I picked up the Old Republic because I played KOTA as a kid, and I am a huge star wars fan in general. So, I've made a Sith Marauder and got to level 11. However, I'm not satisfied with my character, as he seems pretty weak. Maybe I'm expecting too much at a low level, or maybe he just totally sucks. Honestly, I'm learning as I go along. I'll post a picture of what I have so far. I've already got an idea for an annihilation character, so I don't need help there. I guess I'm just wondering how I could make my character stronger, or anything really. I guess I'm pretty in the dark when it comes to this game.

Please I realize I'm a huge n00b but please, I would really appreciate any help I can get. I'm hoping the community is friendly! :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76789483@N07/6888183775/in/photostream/lightbox/

Edited by JacobSpurr

What gives you this "I feel weak" feeling? all classes are pretty much the same at low levels, more so at 11.

If you are having trouble killing mobs without dying, maybe you just need to update your gear (vendors if you havent gotten full drops, which should be common enough to keep you at lest on par with the planet's level, can do wonders and you dont have much to spend credits other than that and skills until 25).

If you feel weak because you don kill as fast as the lightning shooting guy next to you, then that's just normal. In almost every mmo Nuker classes (or ranged DPS if you want) such as the inquisitor, always have a higher initial (and sometime final) damage output, and at low levels their weakness (being squishy) doesnt show because mobs die too quickly at first.

The best advice I can give you is keep your gear up to date and always have your companion attack first to soak up some damage for you. Other than that, keep working those skills until you find a rotation that generates and uses up rage consistently allowing you to deal more damage and kill the mobs quicker.

Last point of note, Cloak of Pain (if you have it yet, dont remember which level Mara's get it) is your friend, use it.

(I have a 50 Marauder and a 43 Juggernaut, in case you were wondering)

You're barely a Marauder at 11. You just picked it!

Once you gain your self heal abilities and proper defensive cooldowns, things get a lot more fun.

Once you ditch the mouthy Twi'lek and get a healer companion, life gets wayyy easier. Just plow through Dromund Kaas for now, things really get better once you get some bleeds and Deadly Saber.

Maras really shine in the higher levels when we get our most powerful abilities.

What gives you this "I feel weak" feeling? all classes are pretty much the same at low levels, more so at 11.

If you are having trouble killing mobs without dying, maybe you just need to update your gear (vendors if you havent gotten full drops, which should be common enough to keep you at lest on par with the planet's level, can do wonders and you dont have much to spend credits other than that and skills until 25).

If you feel weak because you don kill as fast as the lightning shooting guy next to you, then that's just normal. In almost every mmo Nuker classes (or ranged DPS if you want) such as the inquisitor, always have a higher initial (and sometime final) damage output, and at low levels their weakness (being squishy) doesnt show because mobs die too quickly at first.

The best advice I can give you is keep your gear up to date and always have your companion attack first to soak up some damage for you. Other than that, keep working those skills until you find a rotation that generates and uses up rage consistently allowing you to deal more damage and kill the mobs quicker.

Last point of note, Cloak of Pain (if you have it yet, dont remember which level Mara's get it) is your friend, use it.

(I have a 50 Marauder and a 43 Juggernaut, in case you were wondering)

thanks for the quick responses haha I genuinely appreciate it.

As for feeling week I think I realized the problem, I keep ending up in heroic areas and getting attack by swarms of vine cats and stuff on dromund kaas. I can't seem to find my way to the part where you meet with Darth Baras. But I'll figure it out.

Also, I assumed that I was just expecting too much at a lower level, like I said, I've never been into MMO's I usually play Empire Total War campaigns. This is all new grounds to me.

As for keeping armor up to date, any suggestions on where to get the best armor? I used the galactic market to find some decent stuff, but I'm wondering if there is a more convenient way to go about it? As for cloak of pain, I always use that before going into an exchange with multiple enemies.

You're barely a Marauder at 11. You just picked it!

Once you gain your self heal abilities and proper defensive cooldowns, things get a lot more fun.

Once you ditch the mouthy Twi'lek and get a healer companion, life gets wayyy easier. Just plow through Dromund Kaas for now, things really get better once you get some bleeds and Deadly Saber.

Maras really shine in the higher levels when we get our most powerful abilities.

haha thanks! I figured things pick up, just wasn't sure when. Any suggestions as to what abilities to invest in for my upcoming levels?

haha thanks! I figured things pick up, just wasn't sure when. Any suggestions as to what abilities to invest in for my upcoming levels?

I did 10-25 as Carnage, then tried Annihilation. Definitely didn't look back. Just make sure you invest in moves that increase your damage first, and utility after. Unless you're looking to do a lot of pvp, the survival talents don't matter a ton.

Also keep in mind Maras are probably one of the more complex classes, so don't get super frustrated, they take some time to learn. Good luck!