Is Watchman generally considered the "best" spec?

Dee-Jay

The problem is that most people think Combat is the bursty spec. Combat is actually extremely linear damage and has the best Focus generation. I think the reason people think it's the bursty spec is because Blade Storm is basically auto crit and it has an armor ignore. This hardly signals burst tree. Watchman is much more bursty than Combat; however, Combat has excellent sustained damage. As someone else has mentioned, Combat is more difficult to kite. As someone who also plays an Assault Trooper, Watchman is significantly easier to kite. Combat cannot be kited.

Combat is extremely gear dependent. I would say by far the most dependent out of all our trees. When you have the gear to support it, it will do the most damage in a sustained damage situation. Watchman will still have it beat in burst and utility making it probably better in PvP regardless of whether Combat catches it in PvE.

My favourite thing about watchman is chucking force stasis on there not long after cauterize and watching the damage drain really fast..

Also you know what you're a watchman when you get into a close 1v1 at a node, get defeated yet still kill the opposition with your burns after you die and get an assassination medal even though you lost :D