The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking and CCing

BLITZGREK

Is there a good rotation or any sugesstion to tank mobs when they have used thier CC, or should i focus on the Stronger mobs like the elites or champions and let the dps handle the waker ones?

I'm no expert but I have heard several answers to that question. If you've got teh DPS to take out the small guys then I usually just keep the boss/elite/etc.. busy until they can come help. That tactic requires a good healer though that can keep track of you. I did a heroic couple days ago where the healer completely ignored me, then whined that I wasn't tanking well enough. Well duh, if you never heal me I can't stand up to 3 elites at a time in a mob..

The other train of thought I've heard is that you should stun/interupt the boss in between picking off some smaller guys. That requires more agility than I have, but makes sense. Basically the faster you take out the small guys the better.

Someone else with more experience probably has a better answer though :D

DPS should always be killing normals first, while the tank grabs strong/elite mobs. Try to grab opening threat on everything (mortar volley, explosive surge, sticky grenade, aoe taunt) then just focus on the big guys.

If the DPS can't get the normals down without getting themselves killed, they're not doing their job very well. Trying to hold aggro on 8 or so mobs is just not feasible.

Also, from doing speed runs of HMs alot of times, I'll often be charging 5 or more mobs with every single AoE ability on cooldown. Experienced and geared DPS will have all the normals down in a matter of seconds even without any help/aggro from me.

DPS should always be killing normals first, while the tank grabs strong/elite mobs.

^This. That's your basic tanking primer right there.

As a tank you shouldn't even have to worry bout norms, dps should be burning through them so fast you've barely lost aggro before they die.

That being said, most dps are idiots and want to do everything except what they're supposed to. Just make sure there's a clear kill order and you should be golden. If the dps refuses to cooperate, boot em and grab another. They're a dime a dozen.