Thirty Six Hours - Bombardment

Muchmore

Written By: Mike Kern

Darkness. We are swallowed by it, enveloped and embraced by it. In the flashes of light we are seen as if through still images. We look at one another with white faces and thin lips pressed tight.

There is no sound in the darkness and with the light we are made deaf by explosions. Are we in one of the Hells preached to us by our Spiritual Leaders? No, it is too cold. Are we dead? No, we yet move and take breath. But in these flashes of light, there is a complete absence of life. No movement, no warmth and no sound but the crashing of ordnance. The barrage is the only life we know.

It has gone on now for an hour. I am convinced that there was no life before it and any moment, there will be no life after. The wet and mud and cold are the whole of my existence. I extend no further than the falling of the next shell.

Suddenly I am blinded, an explosion has gone off just behind us. Vanmere is gone, ripped from my hands. I cry out but I hear nothing. Do I have a voice? Will I ever speak again? Shiod rises to his feet and points but I see only spots of black and white, now fading to amber and gold and silver.

Full story here: http://www.republictrooper.com/2012/02/13/thirty-six-hours-bombardment/