The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Switching from Pyro to Shieldtech

arcaspiff

I've been playing Pyro since about 26ish. Love it. Now that i'm 50, i've enjoy what I'm doing, except i dont feel that useful except for a explosion factory. Its great and all, but in WZs i feel a little, less utilityish.

I've been experimenting with Ion gas and guard. Been racking up the medals, but i lose out on many of my pyro talents that utilize the combustion gas. It got me thinking, should i just switch back to shield tech? The only issue is redoing my mods. I have not invest a lot of endgame stuff for my pyro set. one PvP helmet, and some wrists really.

Not sure exactly what I should do? I am open to opinions.

I think you should use the cylinder your specced to use to maximize efficiency. As far as your gear, In the end you'll probably end up with a tanking set and a pvp set anyway. Most shieldtechs wear more offensive armor in pvp anyway rly.

My suggestion, try out a new build for a while and recompare then :)

I recently tried the Carolina parakeet after having similar feelings and really enjoy the gameplay. I can tank or dps in flashpoints and have a bunch of utility in pvp. However, it is not a viable dps operation build but good for offtank. There is a lot of info on this build so you should do a search.

I was actually planning on doing the opposite tonight; respecing from ST to Pyro. I love the utility of charge/guard but feel like I don't do that much damage in Carolina Parakeet spec. I just don't know if I'll be able to get used to not having charge.

I was actually planning on doing the opposite tonight; respecing from ST to Pyro. I love the utility of charge/guard but feel like I don't do that much damage in Carolina Parakeet spec. I just don't know if I'll be able to get used to not having charge.

imo full Pyro Spec > Any other Build in PvP IF you play it right.

and lets face it, just because you have jet charge and are more defensive doesnt really mean you have more utility in a PUG.

Personally id only go in Warzones as a tank if accompanied by a premade with a dedicated healer, this is where a tank makes sense. In pugs you just die as fast as everyone else to the zerg if not backed up.

sure, you can rake up some protection medals but that is nothing compared to the damage you miss out on when going full pyro.

a decent tank in a pug will maybe do 200-250k damage and 40-60k protection while at the same time lacking the ability to actually go 1v1 vs. most classes. Tank spec only makes it so you loose slower.

Pyro spec on the other hand easily goes 350k+ damage and can rack up the same amount of protection by using taunt. plus the added benefit of being able to blow up everyone and everything in 1v1 if played correctly.