The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard dps

Chachir

I see a ton of pvp posts about dps ,but is Vanguard dps any good for pve heriocs and raids? If you feel that it is a viable pve dps than what is your spec and what does your rotation look like? Edited by Chachir

I see a ton of pvp posts about dps ,but is Vanguard dps any good for pve heriocs and raids? If you feel that it is a viable pve dps than what is your spec and what does your rotation look like?

You've definitely got options.

PvE, you probably want to skip AP rather than going x/x/31, since Assault Plastique's a burst DPS tool more than a sustained DPS tool. Rotation is going to be based on Ionic Accelerator procs. AP still is handy for burst damage, but IMHO not as handy as spending the points elsewhere.

Ion Pulse (Plasma Cell 100% proc) -> HIB -> Stockstrike -> Hammer Shot -> Ion Pulse -> HS -> SS -> HS -> IP (repeat), interrupting with HIB every time Ionic Accelerator procs to use the freebie HIB refresh. Ammo management will be a moot point, you shouldn't drop below max ammo refresh, and each Ion Pulse is a 30% HIB freebie, Stockstrike 45%.

I'm aiming at 8/8/25 myself- I'm at 42 now and DPS heroics regularly. I'll end up like this:

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=vanguard&d=00000000000000300320000000000000120020300003223021232032

There's plenty of wiggle room- some people prefer going x/x/28 and pulling a few points for Burnout, for example. Or if nobody else is able to apply it, you can shift a few points down to Static Field and debuff the mob, since you're going to cycle Ion Pulse consistently in your rotation. I've seen a few people who do a lot of AoE work swear by using Tactical Tools to get a speedier Pulse Cannon going.

But the core of Assault PVE damage is Ionic Accelerator and giving it as many chances to proc as possible. There is no "cooldown" on IA triggering other than the GCD- you can (and I have, repeatedly) have Accelerator proc, HIB, and trigger it again immediately afterwards off the next IP/SS. I've even had it go off on the opening Ion Pulse, which meant a freebie HIB to start off the rotation! The more 90% armor-piercing, crit-and-damage buffed HIB's you can proc, the more hurt you lay on.