Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is cybertech worth it?

Phixler

I leveled cybertech and the 2 matching skills all the way up to 400. Made the mount, the grenade, etc.

I'm kind of angry that all of the armor/mods I can make are easily replaced by pulling a mod out of pvp gear that's so easy to obtain. The grenade is pretty crappy too.

I'm trying to figure out, is cybertech worth it or should I bite the bullet and drop them all to level up biochem?

If I had it to do over, I definitely would not go Cybertech. I have the schematics for the purple mods and armoring I would use at level 50, but it was so much more economical and practical to get them from daily quests that I've never actually used those schematics. It's kind of funny, if you think about it, how that entire segment has been invalidated so simply and easily.

I passed on making the level 50 speeder. It would cost about 150k to build, so I just got a 55k speeder instead. If it had been unique, I probably would have gone for it, but it's just a recolor.

I never got around to making the grenades. The damage is so low that I can't see how it would be worth the global cooldown in PVE, not unless I was badly overheating. Firing off another Tracer Missile would be a much better option otherwise. I suppose if you're really into PVP it might be different.

The only really nice thing I got out of Cybertech is an excellent slotted Earpiece, but I'm sure I could found one on the GTN with a little patience.

I've made credits with Cybertech, but no more than if I had simply gone Slicing / Scavenging / Underworld Trading. Actually, given the enormous amount of credits I've sunk into Cybertech, I would probably have made a LOT more without it.

That being said, I'm not going to drop Cybertech until the next major content patch. I'll see what they do with the augment system, which they've promised to improve, and if they live up to their stated claim to make the economy more player driven.

I'm giving them a chance. If not, then BioChem still looks like the way to go.

You can still use mounts if you drop Cybertech but grenades are restricted. The grenades aren't that amazing but the Wyz-tek ones are pretty useful. The Sledge is a great snare for PvP and does the most damage in a single hit, the Firestorm grenade is nice to have for extra DPS especially when soloing missions, and the Cyro bomb can be a life saver in for healers grabbing too much aggro.

You will get better schematics as you do higher rank operations. Eventually you'll find Columi and Rakata schematics allowing you to create great earpieces with augment slots. Granted, that may seem like a far away goal, but just keep active and it will happen sooner or later!

Biochem isn't as good as it used to be. It is definitely still great because of the easy access to stims it will provide you, but Biochem can now craft and trade stims just as good as their reusable. If you have a friend that's Biochem, and is nice enough, I am sure they'll craft you some. They are relatively inexpensive to make compared to Biochem's reusable.

I would keep Cybertech personally, but that may be just due to the fact that I have a bunch of schematics from it and would be a complete waste if I dropped it :D

I am a severe althoholic. if you have any alts at all, then Cyber is really fun. But I think it's fun because I enjoy crafting...Always have. If your viewing it solely from an end game numbers result, the numbers are against you at this point.

But So far with my many toons im leveling (my main solely gathers for my crafters), Im enjoying it far more then the naysayers would lead you to believe. but if your only looking for end game benefit, go with Biotech. at least you'll save money on your buffs.

But I too am waiting to see what they make of the various crafts. I figure by the time they smooth it out, ill have one of each, So My situation is win/win no matter how I look at it :)

I appreciate the feed back, thanks alot. =)

I did decide to drop it though, mainly because I don't do much of any PVE and I just felt biochem is much more useful for a 95% pvp player. I will probably never raid in this game, and if I do it will be because I'm truly bored lol. :D

I appreciate the responses, and the guy who had said you get better recipes from raiding, I appreciate that response because it helped me make my final decision.

Thanks!:)

Edit: By the way, the above poster is correct. I can no longer use my grenades, but I can still use the mount.

Edited by Phixler

The right choice, I'd say.

Currently, there's about three decent reasons to keep it. The first is that you enjoy it. Hey, it's a game. The second is that you like twinking your alts. And the third is you're making money selling earrings and ship parts and want to continue doing so.

For the power of your character though, you're better off with biochem. Sure, you could buy stims and such, but the savings of making your own and how much more often you'll use infinite charge ones, nothing compares. And even from the alt perspective, you're really better off with Synthweaving and Armormech, though that's two tradeskills.

Came here mainly to see can I keep my lvl50 Cybertech speeder if I switch crafts.

Thank you OP for that verified information. Now I can switch crafts without hesitation.

And now let the rant begin...

I´m mainly playing for the PVE content as a Consular Shadow Tank and I am pretty dissapointed about Cybertech to say the least. Like few post above was stated, without the Earpiece and the Artifact Grenades, Cybertech is pretty much useless in end game. Hell we dont even have Def mods for tanks to begin with.

I know it´s not a real gear making occupation like Armortech and Synthwaeving, but still it is redicilous that I cannot craft even a decent PVE armor. Now i´m allso grinding PVP gear to play PVE content... Sounds silly? It is.

I realize too it skips one reverse engineering part of the whole process compared to other gear crafts, but it would have liked the posibility of making good mods and armoring. That´s one of my reasons I took the craft in the first place. They could have done the extra RE part and devided them too in "trees" before Artifact grade, then it would have made sense. With five companions, crafting in SWTOR is silly easy for Cybertech and in general(not speaking about high level crafts with the gear trades and the RE "tree system"). Cybertechs at the moment can craft poor gear but they can do it very easily.

End rant....

Dont want to start a troll war here and these are just my opinions and my two cents.

Thanks again OP and others, you helped me too to decide. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

Edited by Vapist

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.