Keyboard and/or Naga keybindings

DJRK

I was wondering what kinds of keyboard and/or Razer Naga keybinding schemes that some of you guys are using? I'm not necessarily asking for anyone to list EVERY single key they have bound, but rather I assume that some of you actually have certain groupings of keys (eg. focus builders, focus spenders, defensive cooldowns, etc), and some logical placement of them, and wondering if anyone might wanna share these general specifics.

I'll start with myself, to provide an example (but I'm definitely no expert on this, which is why I'm creating this dicussion). My Sentinel spec is Watchman, lvl 30 btw.

Setup wise, I currently have a SteelSeries Merc Stealth keyboard, and a Logitech G3 mouse (I'm actually about to pick up a Razer Naga on my way home tonight, though). With the Merc Stealth keyboard, I am using the "gaming keys" arrangement on the left side, which as you can see from pictures, has all the # keys placed so they can all be reached, by having them in 2 rows above the QWEASD section, first row being 1-6, and 2nd row being 7-12.

The only change/addition I've made to the mouse bindings is binding "select next enemy target" to the side mouse button for easy targetting.

For the keyboard:

1) Q and E I've assigned Force Kick and Zen, respectively, since I know they are to be used frequently, and are key aspects to the class. I have these in the #11 & 12 slots on my quickbar

2) #'s 1-3 are the 3 focus builders

3) #'s 4-6 are some of my defensive cooldowns and "free" attacks

4) #'s 7-10 are my primary focus spenders (OS, Cauterize, slash, blade storm)

That's about as far as I've gotten. I do have my bottom row set up with medpacks, stims, other CC's, etc, but I'm not really comfortable using modifier keys in the heat of battle with this keyboard. Although using the gaming keys on the left side is nice for having the # keys in 2 rows, I find that it's difficult to use the shift/ctrl/alt keys without looking.

Anyways, I'll leave it at that, and hopefully some of you guys will be willing to discuss.

Edited by DJRK

Keyboard - Razer Black Widow Ultimate Mechanical

Mouse - Razer Mamba 4G 2012 @ 1500 DPI for TOR

For every player, there is a unique system of key binding. Like evolution, everybody will develop something they are comfortable with over time. I played WoW for six years. I clicked every single ability for the first 5 of them (and I was fantastic, believe it or not). I even moved with the arrow keys. Nobody told me how to play PC games, and WASD felt so foreign. Finally, the last year I played, I FORCED myself to learn to move with WASD, and to use the keys directly around WASD to key bind (just baby steps). Practice makes perfect, and the only way to learn is to do.

Now in TOR I've taken it a step further, but still not even half as complicated as I know some super hardcore people take it. I now move with ESDF. This frees up key real estate to the left and right, plus your pointer finger rests on F which has the little tactile nub so there can be no doubt where your hand is resting.

I like to be able to do everything while strafing, and I strafe with the right mouse button. So I find the 1 thru 6 keys to be very difficult. I bind the Huttball to 5, and that's about it. All I do is lift my pointer finger and I can still be strafing left with my ring finger.

I also taught myself to use shift for a modifier. It basically doubles your real estate (some people even use Alt, I find the Alt key EXTREMELY difficult to hit). I now use the following:

Left pointer finger - R,T,Y,F,G,H,V

Left ring finger - W,Q,A (I find it difficult to use shift modifiers on these, I hit Shift with my pinky, the pinky just naturally rests on shift for me without any effort/thought, and using my pinky and ring finger on buttons so close to each other feels clumsy. I do however use Shift-A).

Right pointer finger - Mouse wheel (I have removed my ability to zoom in, and replaced it with the following: Scroll up, Shift Scroll up, and the actual mouse wheel itself is a button, so I can bind 3 abilities to the mouse wheel, and I can still zoom out which is what's really important). I have my defensive abilities here because there can be no hesitation, and you never have to 'search' for the mouse wheel.

Right thumb - Mouse button 4 and 5, and their shift modifiers. As a melee class with only three 10 meter ranged abilities, these abilities go to Mouse 4, Shift 4, and 5. Shift 5 is my interrupt. I had to give up Auto Run on my mouse for this.

In all that gives me 25 keys for my Sentinel. I just recently started using V, I tend to open my bags about 50% of the time, very annoying, but with practice that will go away. Although my mouse and keyboard are designed for gaming and have built in macro abilities, I've never utilized them. All in good time, try to learn too much, too fast, and you get frustrated and give up.

Edited by Mal-Sharran