Confusion abounds and chaos reigns as usual in the Expanded Universe...

AetosV

I had a question- well, merely one I could think of at the moment, although I'm quite positive I will think of more- but in the Star Wars: The Clone Wars season 2 episode, "The Mandalore Plot", (the defining episode that ripped the Expanded Universe apart and then burnt it), the Mandalorian Vizsla (pardon my spelling of his name) presents the darksaber to Obi-Wan Kenobi (not going to dispute the darksaber, that's a whole seperate issue) and states, "This lightsaber was stolen from your Temple during the fall of the Old Republic."

I am confused. To my knowedge, between 25,000 BBY and 19 BBY, the Republic had never fallen, therefore there can only be an Old Republic from the years spanning between the formation of the Galactic Empire and the New Republic. Some may argue that the Mandalorian is referring to the Ruusaan Reformations of 1,000 BBY, however that did not constitute a governmental collapse, merely a military overhaul. One could also argue that it was during the Mandalorian Wars, the Sacking of Coruscant, or any significant event prior to Palpatine's coup, but none of those were actually the Republic's fall. Does anyone have any arguable theories? Since The Clone Wars animated series is being given authority over established cannon, we're merely going to have to suck it up and keep on keeping on.

It's quite possible that the current war in SW:TOR ends with the fall of this republic. As mentioned in another post, the weapon could have been stolen during the Sacking of Coruscant.

Maybe another answer is the Republic currently being 'rebuilt' is the new republic? It's all theories and ideas though.

The story of the old republic is not finished yet.

And there is plenty of hinting that the republic may lose this war to the empire.

The republic you see in the movies (1,2, and 3) is not the same republic as SWTOR, and there is an excellent chance that the Old Republic (SWTOR) fell along those 3,000 year until the Galactic Republic.

The New Republic Was formed after the fall of Sidious' Empire.

The Ruusan Reformations WERE considered a 'fall'. That's why that line (or lines) in Ep2 about the Republic being around for '1,000 years' had us scratching our heads when it was released. We all assumed the Republic had been around for about 25,000 years, thanks to Obi-Wan's line in Ep4 about the Jedi being guardians for over 1,000 generations (given 25 years as an average accepted measurement for 'a generation')

Calling pre-Ruusan 'the Old Republic' makes sense. It's the Republic, but it's the older one. They had some reorganization after all the chaos of that war.

And remember, the Sith were in control of the galaxy at some point, too--hence Sidious' "once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy!" So whenever that happened, the Republic would've been consider 'fallen'.

The "New Republic" of the post-RotJ galaxy is specifically called "the New Republic" by its members, government, the heroes, etc... they were trying to correct the mistakes of the Old that led to it becoming the Galactic Empire. They didn't wanna just go "Oh, we're the Republic again". That's what the Old Republic did after each big shakeup, and it led to Sidious ruling the galaxy.

Of course, the New Republic didn't last all that long, thanks to the Vong invasion...