As a healer who is new to healing in mmorpgs, I don't just want to be staring at bars

Rakkis

Yes, I am a MMORPG veteran, with lots of time logged in EQ, WoW, Aion, EQ2, and many others. I decided to play a healer with SWTOR, and as a Sage I gotta tell ya that I don't want to be relegated to staring at the health bars all day long, its just not fun to me. I still want to play a healer, but I just don't want the monotony associated with it from all these old MMORPGs, BW/EA/LA should try something different as far as healing goes in these types of games. Either make it interesting or make it to where all classes can heal. Its outdated to have the holy trinity in a mmorpg in 2012.

The holy trinity works. And I cannot thing of other direct healing mechanics besides looking at bars.

The game could implement indirect healing mechanics. For example the healer has to attack the boss and for each attack it will heal the people around him for X. However, that also makes healing very simplistic and pointless.

So unless someone can come up with a better idea, then the trinity will stay for a while.

The holy trinity works. And I cannot thing of other direct healing mechanics besides looking at bars.

The game could implement indirect healing mechanics. For example the healer has to attack the boss and for each attack it will heal the people around him for X. However, that also makes healing very simplistic and pointless.

So unless someone can come up with a better idea, then the trinity will stay for a while.

I really like your indirect healing idea, it is very progressive thought process. Hopefully they can make it work.

First I'd like to say healers in this game are way more free to dps and cc than some others I could name. Especially in PVP, I really love healing, and I don't tend to like PVP in general. In SW:tor, when someone corners me, I can either heal, or I can go offensive with a variety of knock backs, stuns, cc's et c.

/end dev love.

Back in the stone age Asherons Call had a class called a reap sage (or perhaps that was a nick name for a build) regardless, the idea was to damage for mana, then heal using that.

They got nerfed a half dozzen times because they were OP in both pvp and PVE... but the idea/style is fun.

And could be implemented in small ways, the priest in wow had a shadowfiend that gave mana back, that is a small implementation of that idea. I never liked the shadow fiend....

I always wanted the WoW warlock to have a hybrid heal build, siphon life, give life, or siphon life to a target.

Seems the tech heal classes could have a style heal like that, send nanobots to do XX which then gives buffs to tank/healer/what have you. Or a DPS/Debuff class that significantly changes the trinity balance (hardens tank/OP's heals).

Still heals I guess, just different ways to skin it.

Great game. Don't get stuck in a rut :)

----

Oh, and shielding is a slightly different twist on that, which we have in SW:tor to varying degrees (target is healed when hit, etc)

A trinity game will have a trinity style healer. To heal you watch bars. To tank you watch your own bar and procs while staring at the boss' action bar.

What your are asking for is known as "ez-mode healing". You wish to heal while not having to actively be on top of it. This is not a healer...this is a support that is incapable of being a main healer in even a small group. If it IS capable of fully healing a small group by itself then it is overpowered. As it would be causing far too much damage than other healing styles.