When to switch gears?

NuJedi

I've recently started a trooper ac commando with the goal of running WZs with my guardian buddy as his dedicated healer. Currently leveling as gunnery (obv because its the best lvl spec). My question is this...

At what level would it be appropriate to switch over from the Gunnery tree to the Combat Medic tree? Either just changing gears and start putting points into CM or respeccing and shifting my gunnery points into CM.

The question comes from a basis of I dont feel that a lvl 17ish toon with all points in CM would be able to go deep enough into the CM tree to unlock the useful abilities to be effective.

EDIT: after switching gears to CM, i would be more focused on running WZs then PVE

Edited by NuJedi
more specific topic question

3/3 in Field Triage is the break point imo. Until then you'll always find yourself running in ammo problems or having to rely upon hammer shot far too often.

While you do have supercharge's ammo restoration along with recharge cells, nothing quite replaces FT for staying power. If you're pvping you'll also find BI to be very valuable for the same reason.

If you into PvP, I would move the point in first responder to Efficient Conversions.

A well timed Cryo grenade will negate more damage than any of your healings (and costing only 1 ammo)

But yes, once you have 3/3 Field Triage, you should be considered a proper healer =)