Space Combat Needs a Serious Difficulty Boost

Daeromas

You're correct, I was thinking you were reffering to the final mission, sorry. I know which one you mean now though. But since you had to add the :rolleyes: i'll make a video just for you tomorrow. You said you have all purps except for ship armor? K, i'll do it with grade 3 greens, only blue will be the power conversion mod. :). If anything, you can see how it's done properly :)

Don't read to much into the :rolleyes:.. No offense is meant.. It is just a cute smiley to me..

I am always open to new strategies or tricks that I may not know about.. I do agree that some missions do need a small difficulty boost.. But not across the board..

Again no offense was meant.. Remember.. This is an internet forum.. Don't judge peoples emotions based on emoticons.. You will often find you are completely wrong.. :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't read to much into the :rolleyes:.. No offense is meant.. It is just a cute smiley to me..

I am always open to new strategies or tricks that I may not know about.. I do agree that some missions do need a small difficulty boost.. But not across the board..

Again no offense was meant.. Remember.. This is an internet forum.. Don't judge peoples emotions based on emoticons.. You will often find you are completely wrong.. :)

Oh no doubt, and no worries :) I literally just made a video of it, uploading it now. The empires equivalent to the drexel mission is called sullust interception, in the video I talk about what i'm doing, it will help you out forsure.

I also do it with grade 3 upgrades and the power conversion mod, and nothing else.

Edited by Daeromas

I did read the post and countered it with what I felt was a fair argument. You obviously did not even consider my reply what-so-ever. Instead you decide to casually imply ineptitude on my part; which in no way strengthens your argument.

Address the main subject, counter the other posters arguments. If you feel a posters argument is invalid state as to why. I am looking at it like this:

•The OP wishes to have Nightmare Mode Space Missions because the present missions are too easy.

•There are some who disagree, myself included. It is suggested to the op that downgrading his gear would create a greater challenge.

•FoxNemhauser feels that such a philosophy would eliminate the need for new content.

•I argue that new content does not necessarily mean harder content.

•I await a fair counter to my argument.

I am not dead set against the implementation of Nightmare Mode Space Missions. I simply feel BW resources would be best spent elsewhere, at this time. I try to maintain an open minded attitude on any discussion. As such, a compelling argument has the potential to change my stance on a subject. Vaguely implied insults will not.

DR, but ok, that's your opinion, we got it.

Oh no doubt, and no worries :) I literally just made a video of it, uploading it now. The empires equivalent to the drexel mission is called sullust interception, in the video I talk about what i'm doing, it will help you out forsure.

I also do it with grade 3 upgrades and the power conversion mod, and nothing else.

Ok.. Few things.. The Imperial version and the Republic version are very different..

The Capital ship.. You actually have it much easier than the republic players.. Turret configuration alone makes your version easier..

We have to deal with 4 rows of 4.. Or 16 turrets.. All of which are shooting at you at once.. I didn't see anything close to that in your encounter.. You also got two passes before the special ship and oncomming ships section.. We only get one.. We fly under the bottom of it length wise and then off to the part where all the ships fly at you.. At most, missles and blasters, I can probably get 6-8 turrets.. That leaves the rest shooting at me..

I watched another video.. It talked about hitting the space bar for an extra dodge.. I am going to have to work on the at.. I am also guessing that is how you get your ship to go all spastic and do that spin thing..

My idea of space combat was XWA, XvT, and previous Lucas Arts Star Wars games.. Basically all free flight.. So this type of combat is new to me.. I never played Star Fox.. Probably new to others as well.. My wife is also struggling.. I have friends that have more upgrades than you and still haven't beat Drexel let alone attempt the harder ones..

So maybe for you they are easy.. For others they are not.. I will thank you in that I may have found something that will make things easier for me.. We will see..

Anyways.. I am off to a midnight showing of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D..

May the force be with you!!

Thanks for the vid.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

Ok.. Few things.. The Imperial version and the Republic version are very different..

The Capital ship.. You actually have it much easier than the republic players.. Turret configuration alone makes your version easier..

We have to deal with 4 rows of 4.. Or 16 turrets.. All of which are shooting at you at once.. I didn't see anything close to that in your encounter.. You also got two passes before the special ship and oncomming ships section.. We only get one.. We fly under the bottom of it length wise and then off to the part where all the ships fly at you.. At most, missles and blasters, I can probably get 6-8 turrets.. That leaves the rest shooting at me..

I watched another video.. It talked about hitting the space bar for an extra dodge.. I am going to have to work on the at.. I am also guessing that is how you get your ship to go all spastic and do that spin thing..

My idea of space combat was XWA, XvT, and previous Lucas Arts Star Wars games.. Basically all free flight.. So this type of combat is new to me.. I never played Star Fox.. Probably new to others as well.. My wife is also struggling.. I have friends that have more upgrades than you and still haven't beat Drexel let alone attempt the harder ones..

So maybe for you they are easy.. For others they are not.. I will thank you in that I may have found something that will make things easier for me.. We will see..

Anyways.. I am off to a midnight showing of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D..

May the force be with you!!

Thanks for the vid.. :)

Forsure, and you're welcome, hope it helps.

Again, all im asking for is harder difficulty modes that are completely optional, so people like myself can stay awake during them haha.

And yea, as I say in the vid, wasd around your cursor while spamming space bar and they can barley hit you. Also don't forget to use as many missles as possible, even with the grade 3 ones I have leftovers.

Anyway enjoy the movie :)

I agree that space missions difficulty is generally very low once you get the hand of them.

The bigger problem is wasted time.

I complete space missions with secondaries way under given time and then there's nothing to do for a few minutes. And killing ships...7XP ? What the...

Given XP should be level-based.

And torpedoes are broken. You get 3 of them, but have 4 targets in certain missions and it seems those special targets become immune to normal damage are by default untargetable by standard missiles. So mounting torpedoes is a big mistake...and more then useless since you can't actually use them with very few exceptions.

So what need to be fixed:

- difficulty (hardmode for space)

- XP granting (more XP at higher player levels - or mission-level based)

- mission ending (endable when objectives are completed)

A nice addition would be space ops, where guild gets a capital ship and you can do fleet actions with capital ship+fighters aside.

What some players find easy, other may find hard. There has to be a happy medium for all to enjoy, not just you.

You missed the point. Those extra difficulties are optional. Just like hard and nightmare mode flashpoints or operations. It would in no way restrict the enjoyment of others by making it too hard for them.

I dont do a lot of space, but its one of the things I plan to do if I reroll trhough legacy but didn't find them "too easy" although getting a fully equiped ship made them easier. Adding in Nightmare difficulty on space missions for bigger rewards seems like a simple solution but I can't say it would be high on my list of wants.

Personaly I am hoping for ful 3-D space combat with fighter ships.

You missed the point. Those extra difficulties are optional. Just like hard and nightmare mode flashpoints or operations. It would in no way restrict the enjoyment of others by making it too hard for them.

It's crazy how that is going right over so many people heads. Thanks for understanding!

I dont do a lot of space, but its one of the things I plan to do if I reroll trhough legacy but didn't find them "too easy" although getting a fully equiped ship made them easier. Adding in Nightmare difficulty on space missions for bigger rewards seems like a simple solution but I can't say it would be high on my list of wants.

Personaly I am hoping for ful 3-D space combat with fighter ships.

Yea, they will be adding alot to them I hear, which I hope will be cool.

Just thinking for the time being that it would be nice to have what i've suggested until they do.

I would love to see group space missions/flashpoints. Better yet....8-16 player Space Ops!!!!!! You and 7 or 15 other players in your guild fight through waves after waves of space fleets and at the end you dock/land on a Imperial or Republic ship or space station to befeat the final boss on foot? That would be epic!

I would love to see group space missions/flashpoints. Better yet....8-16 player Space Ops!!!!!! You and 7 or 15 other players in your guild fight through waves after waves of space fleets and at the end you dock/land on a Imperial or Republic ship or space station to befeat the final boss on foot? That would be epic!

That sounds f'n awesome! I hope BW steals your idea asap haha, cause that sounds really cool.

Some of the high level ones can be downright frustrating for me. :mad:

If you would like, let me know which one(s) and i'll make a video for you.

wasd around you cursor while spamming space bar though and you will finish with atleast almost full health every time.

Clouds of Vondoru and Aeten Defense can still be a bit challenging even with epic parts.

I'll make videos of those tomorrow, I find them very easy, might help you.

It needs to be ripped out of the game, tossed in a garbage can and set on fire.

Then replaced with a free flight space simulator like Galaxies had but updated.

Maybe you should go back to Galaxies...oh wait...lulz