The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech PvP help please!

Brisan

I'm getting discouraged with powertech PvP and considering rolling a new sniper or assassin. I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something wrong but I can't quite figure it out. PvE is easy mode, but I need some help/advise for PvP.

Currently lvl 44, spec'd shieldtech, with all +shield/+absorb/+defense gear. Around 38% shield/absorb rating, 12% defense

What spec should I be using and what gear for PvP? Tips and advise please to stear me away from starting all over! :confused:

See the sticky at the top of this forum by Taugrim?

Read it and all the links, including the ones on defenses, that should be the place for you to start.

After that we can help with more specific questions.

Edited by Dharagada

See the sticky at the top of this forum by Taugrim?

Read it and all the links, including the ones on defenses, that should be the place for you to start.

After that we can help with more specific questions.

Thanks, I noticed it after I posted....reading it now actually.

I personally run with a shield to take advantage of the spec buffs/procs in the shield tech tree, but other than that one slot I would suggest strictly dps gear. PT tanks are great in pvp, their tactical moves and mobility is amazing, they are survivable, and they can crank out the damage when necessary.

I personally run with a shield to take advantage of the spec buffs/procs in the shield tech tree, but other than that one slot I would suggest strictly dps gear. PT tanks are great in pvp, their tactical moves and mobility is amazing, they are survivable, and they can crank out the damage when necessary.

That will be my fist change. Swapping out all my shield/absrob/defense gear for crit/surge/power gear aside from the offhand shield.

Now off to re-spec and finding the right tree to go up...(still reading Taugrim's guide)

I've got it narrowed down to these two specs:

Taugrim’s “Iron Fist”: 25/14/2

or

Carolina Parakeet: 21/2/18

Thoughts?

Edited by Brisan

Another build to consider, the Bulldog. There have been several posts discussing it over the last few weeks. Here's the spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hR0MZ0MZbIbbdGGMs.1

Note: it runs with Ion Gas Cylinder, uses the tanking off hand. You trade the Combustible Gas Cylinder DoT for the extra defense and Guard.

It's not as tanky, but still great for providing protection to a healer and keeping the DPS coming. Taugrim's build is too tanky for me, Parakeet did a little more DPS then Taugrim but I still felt it low for my own personal taste.

With Bulldog I found what fit me. It might not be what you're looking for tho so play around, try different builds. One thing is for sure, there are lot of ways to play PT effectively in PvP. Just gotta find what works for your playstyle.

That will be my fist change. Swapping out all my shield/absrob/defense gear for crit/surge/power gear aside from the offhand shield.

Now off to re-spec and finding the right tree to go up...(still reading Taugrim's guide)

I've got it narrowed down to these two specs:

Taugrim’s “Iron Fist”: 25/14/2

or

Carolina Parakeet: 21/2/18

Thoughts?

Unfortunately there is a major issue for bounty hunters with the Iron Fist build.

Basically the recommend armor is the combat tech set and the two piece bonus is broken, instead of boosting the duration of carbonize it prematurely breaks it. If the bonus simply didn't work it would be ok, but it flat out breaks carbonize.

As far as I know this issue hasn't been resolved (Vanguards 2pc bonus doesn't seem to have this issue).

You can still use the build but if you use the combat tech set your carbonize is going to much less effective, you can use the tank set, but as mentioned just switch out the mods.

Typically in PVP as a lvl 50 ST I can get 40 kills maybe 4 deaths, do 150k dmg, 50-60k defense with 10 medals...pull about 95 comms a game and 5000 credits at 43 valor...i have full champion supercommando armor, implants are eliminator and SC, eliminator earpiece and SC earpiece a SC blaster as well...and two relics which have endurance and power....I dont die much and try to help interrupt heals as much as possible, protect, and interrupt caps...I dont dish out 400k in damage but I plan to build a combat tech set to run DPS in PVP....i tank HMs no problem with the Tank gear