PT or VG...

MikeFL

Hey all, I'm hoping those of you that have experience with these classes can help me out. Right now I have a Sith Sorcerer and a Jedi Guardian I am leveling. I'm enjoying both and they're really different and fun. When I hit 50 with my Sorc, I will respec to be my end-game healer. My Guardian is leveling as a tank for FPs/Heroics but I'm not sure yet what I want to do with him at endgame. Anyway, I plan on having maybe 2 more characters...I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with them for endgame, and I'm a bit conflicted. If you have any experience and info to help sway me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Vanguard vs. Powertech:

Ever since I started playing TOR I eventually wanted to tank with one of these at endgame, but I'm torn.

Vanguard: I like the Vanguard better for a few reasons...I love the aesthetic look of the Republic Trooper armor sets, Blaster Rifles make more sense to me aesthetically than a pistol, I like Pulse Cannon better than Flamethrower, and I am drawn to the Trooper's story, whereas I have no interest in the BH's story. I understand that a few abilities (namely the Trooper equivalent of Death From Above) is bugged and has a delay, but I mostly do PvE and I'm assuming that BW will fix this eventually.

Powertech: As stated above, I'm not really enjoying the BH story so far, and one of the big reasons I enjoy TOR is because of the story progression while leveling. However, a couple factors are making me consider Powertech...first, I do like Death from Above and Rocket Punch better than the Trooper equivalent abilities. Next, I am also interested in possibly playing as a Commando. If I choose Powertech, I will likely make a Commando at some point which would balance my factions role-wise. Third, Powertech's start with a healing companion right away, whereas Troopers have to wait till late 20's I believe.

If I go with Powertech, my endgame linup will look like this: Sorc healer, PT tank, Guardian tank, Commando healer or ranged damage.

If I go with Vanguard, my endgame linup will probably be: Vanguard tank, Guardian melee damage/off-tank, Sorc healer, IA sniper OR operative healer.

Sorry for the long post, I get very bogged down in these kinds of decisions, if anyone can shed some light on this and has any input I'd greatly appreciate it!

bounty hunters have a massive advantage over troopers because unload and DFA do not have buggy delays when channeling, play both to level 10 and you will know what i mean, contrary to what people say that it doesnt make a big diffrent any serious pvp will tell you even 1.5 seconds makes a massive diffrence in pvp, especially for a aoe that has a 1 minute cooldown and is used to stop caps on doors and to apply quick aoe pressure

I found the BH story pretty damn good and liked the voice acting, though I thought the choices for the last mission were kinda lame. I really like playing full Shield Tech PT for group PVE tanking, though it's average at best spec at PVP (We really need dual specs!).

You really already answered your own question. Go with the one who's story you like better, since for all intents and purposes, pve-wise which you've already stated i believe will be your main focus, they're pretty much on even ground. A few animation and delay issues which will hopefully get worked out, nothing game breaking. Plus you've already stated an aesthetic preference... go with the vanguard.