The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Best Tree for leveling?

Jmerithew

Hello everyone. I've finally given in to the urge to make a trooper, and I must say, it is AWESOME. It's a very welcome playstyle change from the sneakiness of my IA. I was wondering what tree seems to be the most useful for solo lvling though. Each one seems to have some cool stuff. Thank you in advance for the advice!

For Vanguards, they are all close range fighters. Most of their best abilities are used within 10 meters to melee range. Even so, when I solo lvl'd I tended to use quite a few long range abilities as well, whether to mix it up, or just cause it was slightly more advantagous.

I leveled as Tactics and had a lot of fun doing so. I had some issues, and heard others have as well, at about lvl 35 and up. If I were to do this again, I would have gone straight to the top of the Tactics tree first, and filled in the rest later.

Shield spec I see as being a little slow for lvling cause of the lack of DPS. But your survivability would be great. It could be fun if thats what your going for. Your companions could make up for your DPS as well.

I've heard Assault spec does more DPS than Tactics. Its a little more medium ranged than the others, but still relies on Stock Strike (melee) for some of its better abilities to proc. I have found that occasionally Assault spec has ammo issues now and then when I've played it. I've also heard its not to bad for lvling as DPS either.

I hope that helps.

Definitely lower DPS with shield spec, but once you get some decent gear on Elara you don't need to stop to rest or reload (unless something goes wrong and you get swarmed)... haven't levelled any other spec so I can't say which is faster, but no downtime is definitely a good thing.

You can also solo most Heroic 2 content up to level 50, not sure how easy that is with the other VG trees.