Leveling Recommendations

Grimoir

I've decided to roll a Merc after thoroughly enjoying the Bounty Hunter storyline during beta and having loved the gameplay style of a Gunnery Commando all the way to 50. The main difference here is that I've decided to level as a healer this time through. The problem I've run into is how slow it is to level as a healer with a healer companion....which I potentially have to do until I get to Tatooine.

I've done a bit of reading, and most of the suggestions on this board simply say to level in Arsenal until you hit 50, or at least until you get Gault or Blizz. The only trouble I have with this is the adjustment required for switching between gameplay styles. The whole 'DPSing while Healing' concept is fun, albeit....different, and as a result requires a completely separate line of thinking compared to JUST DPSing(or JUST Healing for that matter). I've always found that I truly learn to play a class properly if I level from 1 to cap in the single dedicated spec instead of switching around every few levels to fit a bill.

TL; DR, I want to level 1-50 solely in Bodyguard spec, but at a faster pace than it's been going.

Is it realistic to put Mako in DPS mode, turn off her heals and just let her rip? I suppose if I kept her gear top notch she might make a decent leveling companion, at least until I get to Tat... Of course the other option that eliminates this ENTIRE issue is just leveling with another person.

Thoughts? Strategies?

Learning the healing spec prior to filling out your tree isn't exceptionally helpful. There isn't a huge benefit to going healing until later, and the respec isn't painful.

Pros to switching late (30's+):

-Easier/quicker leveling.

-Access to better companions for healing spec.

-Access to the actual skills you'll use as a healer. These completely change your playstyle from early levels.

-Healing specced characters not necessary in Flashpoints until 30's.

If you are determined to go Healing early, I massively suggest going into Arsenal first for Muzzle Fluting. Then you need Bodyguard for SCG. Empowered Scans and Critical Efficiency are very helpful as well. These form the backbone of a Healer's DPS. They let you support your companion and yourself, and then buy you time for free powershots with SCG. Without these you'll find it difficult to combine damage & healing without being heat intensive.