The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Holding aggro as a vanguard

MommaShorty

I had someone suggesting that it's worth firing Harpoon off every 45 (or in his case, 35 talented) seconds as an ideal way of keeping your hate high, rather than saving it as a "whoops, get back here" skill to go with your taunts.

I also noticed someone mentioning rotating Pulse Cannon in for Ion Pulse periodically to save ammo. Does this mean it's a good idea to drop a few points into Frontline Tactics when tanking?

y'all are making me feel better too :)

Man if I hear another healer whine about the tank not doing it's job, rrr...

Especially if said healer thinks that the tank should be able to hold aggro and stand up to the mob without healing becuase they're too busy saving the dumba** Jedi who couldn't wait an extra second to use his fancy jump attack and starts before i'm ready and gets his a** kicked...

there I feel better now :D

Especially if said healer thinks that the tank should be able to hold aggro and stand up to the mob without healing becuase they're too busy saving the dumba** Jedi who couldn't wait an extra second to use his fancy jump attack and starts before i'm ready and gets his a** kicked...

OH boy I feel you.

Yes jedi, I'm jealous of your epic jump attack, I enjoy using it with my jedi character. No need to rub it in my face :rolleyes:

I've been a healer in so many MMO's it isn't funny, and I'm most often complimented on my heals. :o

So first off I apologize for your treatment by your healer. It's hard enough trying to get a handle on a boss fight without someone dumping on you too.

A couple words of advise if I may.

Though it's pretty much your call on how a fight will go down, try to get as much input from your healer as you can. The fact that we sit back from the fight gives us a better chance to notice little things you might be missing. It also helps open a good channel of communication between the two of you which is very important. A good healer will be telling you if there's a pat, or a DoT on one of you, etc.

Secondly don't take it personally if one or two healers give you grief. It's a sad fact that there's @ssholes in every MMO. Some people are prima donas and there's nothing you can do. On the other hand when you do run into a healer you click with don't simply say "good run" and leave the group. At the very least try to add them as a friend. If they're guildless invite them to your guild. The more you group together the better team you'll become so when the sh@t does hit the fan you'll both be able to deal with it without any drama. :D

I've been a healer in so many MMO's it isn't funny, and I'm most often complimented on my heals. :o

So first off I apologize for your treatment by your healer. It's hard enough trying to get a handle on a boss fight without someone dumping on you too.

A couple words of advise if I may.

Though it's pretty much your call on how a fight will go down, try to get as much input from your healer as you can. The fact that we sit back from the fight gives us a better chance to notice little things you might be missing. It also helps open a good channel of communication between the two of you which is very important. A good healer will be telling you if there's a pat, or a DoT on one of you, etc.

Secondly don't take it personally if one or two healers give you grief. It's a sad fact that there's @ssholes in every MMO. Some people are prima donas and there's nothing you can do. On the other hand when you do run into a healer you click with don't simply say "good run" and leave the group. At the very least try to add them as a friend. If they're guildless invite them to your guild. The more you group together the better team you'll become so when the sh@t does hit the fan you'll both be able to deal with it without any drama. :D

Those are good points. Just nice to vent every once in a while ;) lol

I have worked with great healers before, they do make life much easier.

I play both sides of the fence (though usually more towards the healer, healer Hybrids in other MMos), and some Healers are here for the free ride. They're Divas, and there's not much you can do about it. They know groups will need healers, they know they're in demand.

Fortunately as a tank, a Vanguard at that, you're in demand too. Occasionally, I'll "forget" to pull aggro off a DPS class, but against healers, I always keep them around. Even if they're the biggest jerks on the planet. I keep quiet, speak up when doing a pull, and let the party do their own thing. If the healers being a jerk, I ignore him, it's not my concern: They need me, I need them.

I had someone suggesting that it's worth firing Harpoon off every 45 (or in his case, 35 talented) seconds as an ideal way of keeping your hate high, rather than saving it as a "whoops, get back here" skill to go with your taunts.

I also noticed someone mentioning rotating Pulse Cannon in for Ion Pulse periodically to save ammo. Does this mean it's a good idea to drop a few points into Frontline Tactics when tanking?

Considering you're wasting a useful skill and using a GCD (where you could be doing damage) it would need to have a pretty massive threat gain to be viable. Even if it is 2k threat or something, that's over 45 seconds.

You also need to step out of stockstrike/ion pulse range to fire it... I really don't see the point, as I don't have any trouble holding aggro in single target situations.

You will get certain level ranges where dps just simply outdamage your aggro. The only way to keep up a little bit is to guard the dps'er that does it. At 50 I have no issues holding aggro, and if I lose it due to a kb, stun or whatever, as a Vanguard I have 3 taunts to get it back..

And if a dps pulls a trashmob, the dps TANKS the trashmob.. They only die once, then they learn ;)

I had this happen once

Had a buddy of mine (Guardian) DPS spec'd in a group with me one day and I had him guarded but he was just pulling hate like crazy.

I asked him what hack he was using cause things were just not going normal for our group.

He laughed and said "Opps... I had my force w/e (Ion cell) on...

Some things are just that simple lol...