Mortar Volley damage

LeeMerriman

Mortar Volley on my 28 Commando says it does 1800-2000 damage, yet when I use it on one single thing, I'm lucky to hit 1200. Is this supposed to happen?

1800-2000 over the 3 tick duration. That listed damage is not each individual tick.

Well, it is kinetic damage so if you're hitting tanks, or anything with a shield up, the damage will be low. Other then that, I couldn't explain why you'd see shockingly low numbers.

I have a 50 BH as well and the only difference we have is our crappy animation delay.

Well, it is kinetic damage so if you're hitting tanks, or anything with a shield up, the damage will be low. Other then that, I couldn't explain why you'd see shockingly low numbers.

I have a 50 BH as well and the only difference we have is our crappy animation delay.

I've never seen it hit the full damage it says, and I've used it on everything from class quest fights, to random mobs, etc. All it does in flashpoints is get me aggro without doing much damage.

I've got a level 50 Powertech and a level 50 Vanguard (along with a level 20something Mercenary) and after fussing around with DFA/MV best I can figure is that the tooltip is calculating the damage of MV as if there were 4 ticks, while both skills only have 3 ticks. DFA tooltip seems to be accurate.

If you use the widely accepted damage calculator for skills it actually comes up dead-on accurate if you adjust the tooltip down to assume 3 ticks instead of 4 ticks. My guess is that at some time in beta/alpha they were 4 ticks and it got reduced to 3, but the tooltip for MV was left unchanged.

After thousands of uses of each skill I've only ever seen it do 3 ticks, and the damage of MV is ALWAYS less than it should be if it was in-line with the tooltip. DFA's damage matches MV at similar levels of gear, while showing a more accurate tooltip. And before someone says it I've also tried it on numerous targets that I know the DR of and have accounted for that.

EDIT: Clarified my post.

EDIT 2: Just to show more..

Mortar Volley on my Vanguard

Tech Bonus Damage(combined value for Tech Skills) 479

Tooltip: 3835-4213 damage

DFA on my Powertech

Tech Bonus Damage 476 (closest I could downgrade his gear to for comparison)

Tooltip: 2860-3143 damage

On the same mobs the ticks do the same damage.

Edited by Kinvalar