Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

shield rating cap and kinetic ward

TheMickey

I never paid attention to this til last night when I realized that my shield rating with kinetic ward active is 51%. The cap for those not in the know is 50%. This means any and all shield rating I might pick up from now on is 100% useless except for those situations with lots of AoE causing the charges to drop fast.

My question to my fellow kinetics is what do you suggest as the alternative. I mean what are you guys doing. Sadly I'm not aware of any defense/absorption enhancements. And I don't see sacrificing defense/shield to get absorption/accuracy as being the answer, though maybe it is.

Your thoughts?

You're confusing a real cap with the diminishing returns cap. The DR cap (wherein it's pretty much pointless to stack additional rating since you get virtually nothing out of it) only applies to your non-talent benefits (re: just rating combined with the base shield chance). KW (and all of your talents) is added directly so you can still stack Shield Rating without having it be useless. The current state of the game is such that it's pretty much impossible to get any rating high enough that it's pointless to stack it any more.

So on this topic...as a 31/0/10, shield or focus?

Depends on what you're doing.

PvE tanking: shield

PvE non-tanking: why would you be this spec?

PvP: focus if you anticipate lots of non-shieldable damage (force/tech), otherwise shield.

When is there ever lots of force in PvP? ;)

Thanks, appreciate it. Got a really nice focus during a flashpoint last night and my guild mates were all much more excited than I (my shield is already pretty decent). I was under the impression that shield plus KW trumped focus, but thought I'd ask in case I missed something

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.