The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

For PvP - Anyone tried a DPS spec with tanking gear?

ZeusThunder

I'm always tanking, but just put together a quick AP spec and tried it out for the first time yesterday. I kept my tank set/stim on since I don't have much DPS PvP gear yet.

Surprisingly this was actually a lot of fun, and I ended up doing 280k totaly damage in Huttball (2nd overall). Kept on trying it out throughout the day and was always top 3 in total damage. I also noticed that 1v2 fights (me vs. 2) almost always went in my favor.

Not that I'd expect dps peeps to start picking up Supercommando pieces right away, but maybe if you get extras from the Champ bags consider trying this out. It worked well for me, even though it was my first time ever using a DPS spec with my Powertech.

For PVP, people tend to do the opposite: run with DPS gear for a tank spec.

Why?

The mechanics for Defense and Shield are very meh for PVP.

Here's my detailed writeup on the limitations of the "tanking" stats:

http://taugrim.com/2012/01/19/understanding-swtors-avoidance-and-mitigation-mechanics-for-tanks-in-pvp/

While you can certainly increase your time-to-live by wearing tank gear as a DPS spec, at the end of the day you are severely gimping your damage capability.

PvPing in shield or defence based gear is bad as it wont stop most attacks.

However, if you did want to be an all out straight tank in pvp I'd do it as full AP in ion stance.

I wouldn't be that suprised if a full AP variant has the highest actual damage mitigation in pvp (in ion stance) because stabilised armor (20% mitigation on stun) should add much more than any amount of shields.

They only miss out on 2% mitigation + a tiny amount of whatever shields do compared to a full shieldtech.

Full AP with 10 in shield tech has got to have higher mitigation than anything else just due to stuns being so common.

Hydraulic overrides has also got to be greater for avoiding damage too than anything shieldtech can offer.

It would be a terrible overall build, but you'd be as tanky as you could be as 14/27/0 or something like that.

Edited by ducksmyth