The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New 50 powertech tank - Gear?

Durcbjorn

I'm currently on VOSS, and pretty much between those commendations and armormech should have some half decent stuff for when I ding 50 soon.

My question is, what do I do upon hitting 50 to gear out to prepare for hardmodes/operations?

There are a couple 47-50 flashpoints (non hardmode) that I could run for some stuff right?

Also, is the best place to start by doing dailies on Ilum & Belsavus for daily comms to get armoring/mods/enhancements/barrel of level 50 blue/purp quality?

Just trying to figure out the best place to start.

Thanks!

Here are some quick thoughts from a lvl 50 Shieldtech:

The first thing I did when I dinged 50 was use the "power of oranges" to max out my mods. Between my own Cybertech and my guildies' crafting, I got my rank 22 mods. This alone got me far enough to start running hard-modes without too much trouble.

Everyone is always saying "have 6 champion bags ready when you hit 50" and I followed this idea by having 1 bag and 400 merc 400 wz comms ready (3 bags). If you're new to the bag system, PVP Champion Bags can be purchased for 200, 200 and have a chance at a champion gear token. They also always have cash and centurion commendations. More bags come from PVP dailies. I got 1 piece out of the bags, but you could potentially get a few more with luck, or by opening them in large ops groups (there's a rumor floating that your drop chance increases in larger groups from WZ up to 24-man). I have had some luck with this recently, getting 2 tokens out of 3 bags opened before a huttball match.

The daily commendations should probably be a last resort for spending early, as it seems that their best use is for Rakata equivalent ears/implants that are the best in the game for ~120 comms.

Running any of the flashpoints after Red Reaper has limited purpose, as there are not generally that many people interested in doing them and the rewards are middling. Doing them once is recommended, as you want to know the basics of the fights for the hardmodes (especially D7 and Kaon). Here's the reference I've been using for flashpoints when I need to grind out a specific item drop: http://www.swtorlevelingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/SWTOR-Flashpoint-Operations-Locations-and-Items.jpg

Black Talon HM is pretty easy to get through if everyone has blue-lvl 50 gear and knows what's going on, so you really don't need to wait too long to start the HMs. As with most of the other HMs, the bonus boss in BT is substantially harder, so I recommend pulling up a boss guide when running a HM the first time whether you're attempting the bonus or not.

Enjoy the senioritis of being 45-49!