PvE Leveling: Madness or Darkness?

Mashugana

I am 100% PvE and wonder if I should level Madness or Darkness? I'd like to be able to tank Flashpoints as I go, but I also want to put out decent DPS when I solo.

Can a Madness spec Assassin tank lower level Flashpoints? If not, then Darkness is my obvious choice.

Thanks for any advice.

Full darkness while in PvE does very good damage solo, I haven't heard anyone complain about it. It also affords you being able to use a companion in DPS mode, which helps as well.

At low levels (<25?), probably any spec could tank as well as the others in Dark Charge. Above that the difference between actual Darkness and a DPS spec in Dark Charge is going to be more noticeable (You'll lack Dark Ward and the +defense/absorb talents). Can probably still tank after that, but you'll be putting a lot more pressure on your healer.

Personally I'm going full darkness while leveling, because I find the skillset enjoyable. For you, I'd say try both! Respecs are cheap (once a week), so see what you enjoy most. If you plan to tank in the long term, of course, extra experience with darkness is going to be a benefit to you.

Madness Provides a real "AoE" attack early in the leveling process which hits harder than most of your single target attacks (Death Field), since single pulls in this game are very few and far between I found leveling Madness to be very easy, its also a 30 yard range attack, also very useful.

I used Khem till I got Ashara and use Telos now that I have some gear at 50.