Rationial Conversation about Guild Wars 2 ~ Why should we care?

Umbrex

Top 10 reasons to pay attention to Guild Wars 2

~Now note, this is just a video I found that highlights some of the most innovative and impressive features of Guild Wars 2. These are things that core MMO fans should pay attention too, and should be impressed by (if done correctly)

(With some of the amazing sound the game comes with, see below)

Wikipedia Page about Guild Wars 2 - Contains some very fascinating information

Controls

The control & movement system is going to be significantly changed. In particular, mouse movement in the form "click to move" will be removed from the game; however, target locking will still function. Control of combat will be more active; including blocking skills that are "held down", ground-targeting for spells and attacks, and hit detection that allows one player to block area-based damage from reaching other players. Guild Wars 2 will be a true 3D environment which will allow characters to jump over obstacles as well as swim and dive underwater. New animation coding will allow separate tracks for upper and lower body components, allowing players to activate more skills while running or jumping for smoother combat immersion.

Flight will not be a featured character capability in Guild Wars 2.

Game engine

Guild Wars 2 uses a heavily modified Guild Wars game engine which includes support for true 3D environments, more detailed environments and models, better lighting and shadows, new animation and effects systems, plus new audio and cinematics engines and a more flexible combat and skill-casting system.It uses Havok to provide destructible environment and ragdoll animation of creatures and Umbra's Occlusion culling technology.

Gaile Gray has indicated the game will support DirectX 10, but not require it to play. Guild Wars 2 will use the Havok physics engine and occlusion culling technology licensed from Umbra Software.

Oh. And Jeremy Soule is doing the music for the game. You know. The guy who's done some of the most impressive sound in gaming history. Games like Morrowind, Oblivion, and the latest, Skyrim. ~I am a huge Jeremy Soule fan, and I think its a little odd that someone would be a fan of a game sound writer (or w/e)

I've noticed a lot of people raving about how amazing its going to be...but...for me...every MMO has that hype, the core idea that this new MMO is going to change everything. (Because everyone wants something to defeat WoW, so they overhype every MMO that seems like it has a chance.) And in that regard, they are removing the three core MMO classes, DPS/Tank/Healer. And they are also doing the same style of Final Fantasy XIV (/Shudders), where the weapons you choose are the skills that you use. Each of your abilities are tied to weapons, instead of your class. I'm still very skeptic about this system. It failed horribly with FFXIV, like everything else in that game

So I'm keeping my eyes open in the direction of Guild Wars 2, because it DOES change a lot of things, and due to having no subscription fee, I could see this becoming a huge game. F2P games (Regardless of the initial $60 fee) have seen serious success. League of Legends makes a LOT of money off of their micro-transaction shop alone. If people buy things through those shops, they are most likely spending more than $15 a month.

I don't think that Guild Wars 2 is a serious threat to the success of SWTOR. Mainly because the main reason that would stop people from playing would be another $15/month tag. Not many people want to pay $30 a month for MMO games. By removing that fee, we will see a lot of people who are playing both games. I know I will be buying guild wars 2 one the sole reason that it doesn't have a monthly fee.

*Shrug*

And this isn't a troll thread, I am trying to get some serious conversation about another game that a lot of people are pretty serious about. So please keep the conversation civil. This is for an informative discussion about a game.

/walloftext crits for over 9000

Edited by Umbrex

Goodbye GW 2 subject thread.

People want to see WoW defeated, but if you want to beat WoW, you have to do something better. While I enjoy SWTOR, and I have paid for a 6 month subscription, because its a ton of fun, as of right now it has not done anything better other than a better "era".

So, the point being that if we want an MMO that is better than WoW, we have to voice the opinion and tell the developers and publishers that we don't want the same MMO re-released with a different storyline. While its fun and it will sell, it won't be remembered. A revolutionary game is remembered. The Elder Scrolls completely transformed the RPG genre, and its regarded as one of the best of its class, regardless of its short-comings and bugs. Its still considered one of the best RPG Genre's in gaming.

Edited by Sireene
rude/uninviting

Hey there!

We are going to go ahead and close this thread, as this discussion is primarily discussing another game and considered off-topic. We welcome your feedback but ask that threads on the forums are firmly centered around discussion of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Thanks!