The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PT Vs who= Win?

royhe

Well in PVP i just tried out PT @ lv 21 a change from my lv 49 sorc, since sorc is kinda boring , not as boring as spamming Tracer Missle, but only real skill is force Lightning. I was fightning most classes and doing fine, but every time i get the jump on a Consular Sage, always does the rock throwing skill , outdoing all advatange i had like 40% hp over him, cant seem to out DPS that with any my range skills. Any advice on who PT are good/ kinda try to stay away from. Im speced Shield Build atm.

Also, can i get a bit of explanation of how PT works for PVP damage wise. Went on my sorc and pulled of way higher DMG ratio with an ease compared to PT were i gotta actually try to get anywere near 100k+ and on sorc getting to 200k fooling around. Are PT suppose to outlast the enemy just kiting them or suppose to stick on them seeing we got heavy armor.

Edited by royhe

If damage dealing is what you're after, head up the Pyrotech tree. The Prototype Particle Accelerator talent is a game changer, allowing you to get some great strings of free heat venting Rail Shots... or you end up building so much heat you have to Vent - it's quite random. Thermal Detonator at lvl40 lets you setup some great burst damage from 30yd.

Shield Tech gets good at lvl30 with Jet Charge - it's pretty amazing, giving you access to a ranged stun, pull, and gap closer that also interrupts.

The key to defeating those pebble tossers is using Quell, your interrupt. You'll also gain access to Grapple, in addition to your Electro Dart, which you can use at key moments depending on your range to target and desperation level :)

Mostly try to stay in people's faces, throwing out an early Incendiary Missile followed by Rail Shot as you close the gap. I tend to save Grapple for peeling targets off teammates in need or yanking people into various pits and hazards.

You'll find yourself using Flame Burst a lot, with Rail Shot taking center stage as a Pyro, or Rocket Punch as Shield Tech. Death from Above is so good you should use it whenever you get a chance on multiple targets, and remember the radius VASTLY exceeds the ground target so you'll hit people that seem a safe distance away more often than not.

Use Rapid Shots whenever you can't use anything else, are closing distance, or need to vent a bit of heat. When you see it building up to around 40 it might be wise to weave RS in between other abilities to keep it manageable unless you have Vent Heat ready to go.

As with all other classes you'll find things get progressively easier, and your talent tree synergies come into focus, as you gain more levels and abilities. Things like Grapple and Stealth Scan are really useful in PvP and once you get them you'll wonder how you ever did without them :)

Hope this helps.

I dont pvp, outside of dueling occasionally for fun, so I cant say with any certainty. However, I would assume that due to the fact AP powertechs get a 6 second cooldown on quell, which locks out abilities it interrupts for 4 seconds, we'd be pretty good against sorcerors (assuming you can get through their static barrier), sages too. The same should also apply to fighting mercenaries and commandos, as both rely heavily on cast-time abilities which we can frequently interrupt.

As a shieldtech, I tend to do pretty well in duels against snipers, operatives, and marauders, and farely well against juggernauts, as long as the gear level is similar - all of them are heavily based on melee or ranged attacks which are subject to defense and shield chance rolls, and none have particularly high resistance to internal or elemental damage - which we focus heavily on.

However, I would assume that due to the fact AP powertechs get a 6 second cooldown on quell..

AP Doesn't burst hard enough to be relevant in PvP, or PvE for that matter. Pyrotech bursts so hard that after you interrupt the first one, you probably wont need to interrupt another.