Dispel protection needed for DF Gunslingers/Snipers

Arkenthro

Not here looking to whine or ask for buffs to make my class completely overpowered, but dirty fighting needs some dispel protection.

A great portion of a DF gunslinger's damage (and their imperial counterpart) comes from Wounding Shots/Cull. Its a very strong ability, but it does require a lot of setup. In order for me to do respectable damage to a target, I need to have both of my bleeds on it to get the most from Wounding Shots.

This works great when I'm playing against unorganized groups--you simply dot multiple targets and then fire away.

However, in more organized play, Dirty Fighting is very, very weak. If you can't keep dots on a target, you simply cant put enough damage into them to take them down. The worst part is that applying my DoTs to a target costs me MUCH more energy than it costs to dispel them, so if I try to reapply and get a quick Wounding Shots off, I'll just run into an energy deficit and be stuck with flurry.

We need some help here. It doesn't have to be some kind of ridiculous change like making Gunslinger dots immune to dispel, but something like a 1 minute cooldown ability that makes your dots immune to dispel for 10 seconds would be nice. This is at least enough for us to get off a guaranteed full damage Wounding shots every once and awhile.

Thoughts?

"Help, they countered my class"

Edit: After trying the lethality tree in sniper, it's just not the better pvp spec from my experience... Too inconsistent for my liking

That's fine, we all have our preferences. That doesn't mean that its shortcomings should be abandoned in favor of another spec, though.

I'm not looking for arguments consisting of "just play X spec, then" because that isn't helpful. I'm looking for arguments as to whether DF/Lethality does or does not need some dispel protection.

That's fine, we all have our preferences. That doesn't mean that its shortcomings should be abandoned in favor of another spec, though.

I'm not looking for arguments consisting of "just play X spec, then" because that isn't helpful. I'm looking for arguments as to whether DF/Lethality does or does not need some dispel protection.

No it doesn't need dispel immunities. Cures are cures, it's part of most games. At least you're occupying their healer. I'd continue focusing the curers.

If they're organized and you're not, it's tough to complain

No it doesn't need dispel immunities. Cures are cures, it's part of most games. At least you're occupying their healer. I'd continue focusing the curers.

If they're organized and you're not, it's tough to complain

That would be fine if they were actually occupied, but they aren't. It's not just healers that can dispel, its anyone who plays a scoundrel/operative, sorcerer/sage or mercenary/commando.

This includes DPS specs. Further, a single dispel removes both of our DoTs, and costs very little in comparison to the cost of applying those dots. So, the most I could do to "occupy" a single healer (assuming the DPS aren't dispelling, which they are) is cause him to use an instant cast ability every 4.5 seconds about 3 times in a row, at which point I'm out of energy. If I use my 1.5 min CD to restore 50 energy, I could re-DoT about 4-5 times.

Keep in mind that applying the dots themselves does no real damage, so all I've effectively done is caused the healer to press dispel a few times. Sure, you can argue that I should be interrupting and stunning etc etc, but those are things that every class has and every class should be doing, so its irrelevant to discuss them as benefits to the spec, since they're universal.

Edit: Oh, and this applies whether or not I'm playing with an organized group.

Edited by Arkenthro

That's true, it should 1 be cure per dot not 1 cure cures everything. All the issues you're having are why I abandoned the spec for PvP. It was just to easy to counter.

Uh, are you saying that the way how you can counter the whole spec with dispel is OK AND that you abandoned the spec because of how easy it is to counter?

I'm sorry but that does not compute.

Dispelability of Lethality DoTs makes the whole tree useless in any kind of organized PvP, which is kinda a huge issue.

Scoundrels/Operatives have this same issue and then some. just play Engineer/Sabo it *****.

Again, this is not really relevant to the discussion. "Go play X" does not solve the problem. I like the concept of the Dirty Fighting tree, so I would prefer to shine some light on the issue that's causing it to be nigh unplayable rather than just go play a different spec.

Edit: Also, I disagree to some extent that Scoundrels/ops have as much of an issue with this. They get Pugnacity (not sure what the imperial counterpart is) that allows them greater energy regeneration, and their version of wounding shots is instant cast, applying all of its damage at once. This at least allows them to dot a target and get a wounding shots in in between dispels or inside of a stun.

Edited by Arkenthro

Uh, are you saying that the way how you can counter the whole spec with dispel is OK AND that you abandoned the spec because of how easy it is to counter?

I'm sorry but that does not compute.

Dispelability of Lethality DoTs makes the whole tree useless in any kind of organized PvP, which is kinda a huge issue.

No i said it was not ok, it should require 1 cure per dot. But yes, I abandoned it because it was easy to counter.

No i said it was not ok, it should require 1 cure per dot. But yes, I abandoned it because it was easy to counter.

Nerfing dispels to be one effect per cure would be fine with me. That leaves enough time to reapply the missing dot and cast wounding shots before one is dispelled again.

i think the problem with an offensive dispell is you run into too many situations/classes where you would simply reserve the purge for one specific ability. sorc shields, sniper group shield, that pesky warrior buff that avoids damage. Basically you'd just have the opposite of what you have right now, where the purge becomes what shields are now.