maybe an idea : a new forum with new rules

grizbi

I'm kind of tired to see how the general forums are filled with negative, repetitive, unconstructive threads.

What I'm looking for :

- Guides, builds, shared experiences

- Constructive feedback and suggestions

- Strong moderation : no more trolls, no more "Learn 2 play", no more "you're an idiot"", no more "/bump", no more "I've never died to <insert advanced class here>".

Could we have a specific forum dedicated to constructive discussion ? This one should be highly moderated : 3 warnings , then a temporary ban (only for this forum of course).

I know that I can find or even create my own forum on Internet. But I 'd like this game to have such an option for its "official community".

I'm sure that a structured community would be a major asset for the future of SWTOR.

There are probably numerous ways to partially achieve this goal. This is just an idea.

Sorry for my bad english (french here).

There are plenty of fansites for exactly this reason, there's also a list of them somewhere in the forum, i'm sure your capable of doing a search if your capable of constructive posts :p

Your post is a good example of a "learn 2 play" answer but please re -read the whole post , it is not that long.

I'm not thinking about me but rather to the game community. Most of the people don't read the official forums, so I let you do the math when it comes to the fan-sites...

If there were one forum here dedicated to constructive discussion, this would benefit to a lot of different people, including newcomers, casual gamer and hardcore gamer.

This forum might turn to be the best one :

- Better SEO with more accurate and detailed contents.

- More friendly

- more useful ...

Edited by grizbi

Don't read those then.

/Thread

I'm sure some people can read my post and understand what I say. It's not that difficult.

Did you encounter any difficulty after the first sentence ? Maybe a part with too many words ?

Or do you belong to a sect who is trying to dumb down any discussion here ?

Edited by grizbi

I agree with you and I think you have a well written post. Ignore the peeps with the sarcasm man. Remember that consistent sarcasm, rather than helpful answers is a great disguise for deep rooted stupidity. Edited by Connar

I'm sure some people can read my post and understand what I say. It's not that difficult.

Did you encounter any difficulty after the first sentence ? Maybe a part with too many words ?

Or are you belonging to a sect who is trying to dumb down any discussion here ?

While I can sense and understand your frustration, I believe this type of answering others is what you were talking about in the first place, no?

I'm all for strong and good moderation, but you cannot "force" a community to be what you want, it will grow on it's own and at the end of the day it's yours and my responsibility to make it a good place.

In the meantime the only realistic option "we" have is to ignore/not comment on/don't read whatever "we" deem non-contructive etc.

I've read plenty of good threads so far, especially outside the general forum, hope that helps.

Cheers

Rouven

Your post is a good example of a "learn 2 play" answer but please re -read the whole post , it is not that long.

A: I did read your post.

B: Your post is titled "a new forum with new rules", they have created plenty of forums, and there's alot of people who will make posts constructive or otherwise and to some degree the games official forums will tolerate this (usually in the interest of keeping subscribers).

If you want to see stricter enforcement of community rules/less spam threads I was merely suggesting an alternative, otherwise, you'll just have to live with how it is done here.

While I can sense and understand your frustration, I believe this type of answering others is what you were talking about in the first place, no?

I'm all for strong and good moderation, but you cannot "force" a community to be what you want, it will grow on it's own and at the end of the day it's yours and my responsibility to make it a good place.

In the meantime the only realistic option "we" have is to ignore/not comment on/don't read whatever "we" deem non-contructive etc.

I've read plenty of good threads so far, especially outside the general forum, hope that helps.

Cheers

Rouven

Being constructive doesn't make me defenseless :cool:

Now, a small community may "grows on it's own". Unfortunately, a massive community will need more than that. Currently, trolls, haters and ragequitters occupy the whole place and give no chance to the others. Because their posts and answer are generating far more answer/read than the other. More answers lead to a better place / visibility.

That's a system which just doesn't work with large, young passionate crowd.

Community management has far more tools and options than just setting up a forum and let things go on their own.

A seperate forum with stronger moderation and new guidelines could bring back some peace and more relevant content.

Edited by grizbi

A: I did read your post.

B: Your post is titled "a new forum with new rules", they have created plenty of forums, and there's alot of people who will make posts constructive or otherwise and to some degree the games official forums will tolerate this (usually in the interest of keeping subscribers).

If you want to see stricter enforcement of community rules/less spam threads I was merely suggesting an alternative, otherwise, you'll just have to live with how it is done here.

My problem is not the number of forums. Or how to find fan site with better forums. I'm thinking about the game community and how to give it better tools.

I know that there are constructive posts. I just think that they don't have the visibility/role they deserve.

There's no reason to be in a "take it or leave it" situation.

I don't see why things couldn't be improved. I'm offering an idea. There are probably better ones but this one is quite simple and easy to try.

cheers

Edited by grizbi

I'm kind of tired to see how the general forums are filled with negative, repetitive, unconstructive threads.

What I'm looking for :

- Guides, builds, shared experiences

- Constructive feedback and suggestions

- Strong moderation : no more trolls, no more "Learn 2 play", no more "you're an idiot"", no more "/bump", no more "I've never died to <insert advanced class here>".

Could we have a specific forum dedicated to constructive discussion ? This one should be highly moderated : 3 warnings , then a temporary ban (only for this forum of course).

I know that I can find or even create my own forum on Internet. But I 'd like this game to have such an option for its "official community".

I'm sure that a structured community would be a major asset for the future of SWTOR.

There are probably numerous ways to partially achieve this goal. This is just an idea.

Sorry for my bad english (french here).

Good idea, but you know how much we had to push for Server forums. Even the "Server Group Forums" section is a little half a**ed in my opinion. I don't think a constructive MMO community is possible, there is always going to be some sort of trolling, flaming, bumping etc.

A utopian forum is a dream much like a utopia itself.

Good idea, but you know how much we had to push for Server forums. Even the "Server Group Forums" section is a little half a**ed in my opinion.

Each server should have its forum. From what I've seen , they are divided by server type which might not be the best option. I do understand that BW don't want the community to be scattered. But each of us need to be able to speak with people from his server.

I'm part of a community? I should be able to speak with it. Not the global community of people playing this game like me. But the small community of my server. The one I meet everyday Ingame.

I don't think a constructive MMO community is possible, there is always going to be some sort of trolling, flaming, bumping etc.

A utopian forum is a dream much like a utopia itself.

Probably.

Now there is always a company , somewhere , one day - who proves it was possible. And then you realize how all the other game have had it wrong for years.

This is an insult, in the form of condescension, so yes I can comprehend my native language.

I'd request an apology, but this is the internet so.... yea.

Part of what drives my personal disagreement with your "idea" is that I have a "Causality" mindset, meaning simply that I don't mind the "other side of the argument", and feel that it's actually necessary for all perspectives to exist.

A laymen example?

Good cannot exist without evil. In my opinion they are co dependent, thus they each, need the other to exist.

In other words and more related to your topic:

There wouldn't be a such thing as a "positive" thread, without "negative" threads existing.

Pile on top of that the fact that positive and negative are both subjective to the individual

I digress.

"c'est la vie"

This is an insult, in the form of condescension, so yes I can comprehend my native language.

I'd request an apology, but this is the internet so.... yea.

Part of what drives my personal disagreement with your "idea" is that I have a "Causality" mindset, meaning simply that I don't mind the "other side of the argument", and feel that it's actually necessary for all perspectives to exist.

A laymen example?

Good cannot exist without evil. In my opinion they are co dependent, thus they each, need the other to exist.

In other words and more related to your topic:

There wouldn't be a such thing as a "positive" thread, without "negative" threads existing.

Pile on top of that the fact that positive and negative are both subjective to the individual

I digress.

"c'est la vie"

I'll add this one if you don't mind : "right or wrong is in the eye of the one who watch"

Does it mean that there is no truth ? No

It means that there are several truth.

And that they should all be combined to find a reasonable way to evaluate things.

That's what moderation is all about and why it is done by a human and not a bot.

Cheers