The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Too Bland?

Sabbathius

OK, don't get mad, but does anyone else feel like Powertech is a little too...bland?

I've been playing my Assassin lately. Tank spec, same as my Powertech. And I can't help but feel like my Sin brings a whole lot more to the table. I just feel like I have more tools to deal with more situations, compared to PT.

Both can Guard, both can taunt. Both have pull, PT by default, Sin with 1 talent point. Both have the 4 sec stun.

But Sin gets an AoE knockback on 20 sec CD, sprint that talented is 20 sec CD AND breaks roots/snares when used. Slow that is ranged and on-demand, with a 12 sec CD (but 6 sec duration). Whirlwind, which can be made instant with a hybrid spec (Sin requivalent of Carolina Parakeet). From stealth, Sin can also sap. At 42, Sin gets Spike, a 2 sec knockdown on 30 sec CD, which talented is usable out of stealth. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea.

Defensive cooldowns I feel are better on the Sin too. Force Shroud on 60 sec CD (45 talented) is basically 3 (5 talented) seconds of 100% immunity to force/tech attacks, and removes any removable effects. Which wrecks DoT classes. Also, since knockbacks are force/tech attacks, Shroud makes you immune to them as well. Haven't had a clean test yet, but I think that's how it works.

And when push comes to shove, there's the handy little vanishing spell too. Which allows you to drop combat but stay near, invaluable when you need to buy a few more seconds to keep the enemy from capping.

I just spent about 90 mins switching from Sin to PT and back again, they're same level now, same gear, so I can easily compare and constrast.

I just can't help but feel like PT is just a truncated version of the Sin. Am I missing something here? The only thing I really miss on the Sin is Jet Jump.

Anyway, I'm getting pretty bummed out about the PT right now. Anyone feel the same way? Feels to me like PT is missing at least one more ability, possibly two - one CC and one offensive.

Edited by Sabbathius