Tree Progression?

Mondavian

I'm currently leveling a Bounty Hunter (Merc Spec). I've seen many leveling trees, all of which suggesting building into the Arsenal spec and utilizing tracer missile. The one thing I haven't seen is a guide that suggests which talents to level up first, and which companions are best. Would I be better off building into the arsenal spec immediately? Or should I max out the Advanced Targeting and Hired Muscle before completing the Arsenal Tree? All suggestions and insight are appreciated. Thanks.

Going straight arsenal and filling out the other talents later works quite well. Many of the mid/upper tier Arsenal talents are fantastic, and aren't worth the sidestep to get accuracy or critical chance.

In general, Mako will be your best option. You'll be putting out enough dps on your own, and her heals will mostly eliminate your need to recharge/reload(unless you need to bleed heat for a couple seconds). Having Mako out also makes golds/champions fairly easy.

The dps companions are decent choices, but won't be as helpful on the harder enemies. I found the tank companions to be near useless. They take far more damage than I did, did barely more damage than Mako, and at best gave me some small amount of additional time to put down the harder enemies, compared to Mako giving me infinite time. In general, the healing companions are the best for anybody who isn't a healer.

I have seen the tank comps used very well with the hybrid BG/Arsenal spec, and/or if you spend commendations/credits gearing them to the point where they are actually quite buff.

Edited by Snagulus

Snagulus is pretty spot on.

You'll really want to put all points in Arsenal first. Not only are the talents in better; it also means you get the great skills first. Getting Tracer Missile 3 levels faster is a huge help.

As for the progression of the talents. It's mostly a judgement call. But mostly its logic.

First tier is pretty difficult; since you don't have much Aim yet Ironsights isn't as huge as it is later. And the 6% on your main attacks is pretty beefy too.

Second Tier I would pick up Muzzle Fluting first; simply because of the huge heat reduction, that makes grinding a TON easier. Stabilizers second is probably best, as without TM you won't be able to rail shot all that often.

Third tier obviously Tracer Missiles first; I would probably pick up Afterburners second, it's not just for PvP the knockback also functions as a melee interrupt; Power Barrier third. Skip Target Tracking for now, because:

a) You won't benefit from the HSM part yet

b) Unload isn't as great until you get the talents for it

c) You don't crit all that often yet

Forth tier is again a preference call. Light em up helps with getting stacks up fast and thus doing more damage sooner. Terminal Velocity is a huge help for heat management, I would get this first if heat is holding you back.

Jet Escape if you PvP a lot otherwise I would get Target Tracking now.

Fifth tier is really a preference call. Boost Unload by 33% or Rail Shot by 30% (stacked); at this point you know what you use most. This is also the tier where you get to pick some optional talents. Since Pinning Fire isn't mandatory you got some points to play with.

Sixth tier I'd get barrage first nice way to make your rotation much more dynamic with just 1 point.

Rest speaks for itself.