The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is 21/2/18 a tank spec, dps or both?

Jaince

I've read a few of the 21/2/18 threads but I never really got a satisfying answer to it.

It seems pretty clear to me that it is a viable tank spec when used with IGC, so guess I answered one part of my question myself.

However I noticed that alot of the low-tier ST talents only work with IGC and alot of the Pyro skills only work with CGC.

So is it merely a "Tank spec with a bit higher dps"?

Or does it actually work as a DPS spec too? Meaning can I be the DPS in a group with it?

And if yes to that second question, would I be switching to CGC instead IGC?

I'm talking about PvE here and doing flashpoints and such, apperently in pvp you should keep IGC on.

I pretty much stick with PvE but for me it's both. The build is based on rocket punching and rail shotting everybody all the time with Incendiary Missile providing the burn when it's needed. Superheated Rail will mitigate the heat cost for the missile as long as you don't spam it on everyone. Keeping Ion Gas up full time works beautifully when you don't need to rely on cylinder procs for the damage.

It's primarily a tank spec.

You could use it to DPS with in a pinch for flash points etc (though for operations I really would change the spec), and you would probably should consider switching out the cylinder primarily due to the threat from the Ion Cylinder.

For PvE, there are better PT specs for both tanking and DPS. If you use this spec, you are gimping yourself in both. You either trade mitigation for damage, or the other way around. None of which you want to do to maximize your potential (be it tanking, or DPS) in PvE.

This spec is designed for PvP, to give you the ability to take some damage, guard ppl and dish out some damage as well.

Pure pyro will outdamage just as pure Shield Tech will outtank you any day in PvE.

Edited by je-s-ter

You wouldn't expect a hybrid build to outperform a pure build in either role but the other factor you need to think about is the flexibility it gives you.

I worked this out the other day and posted it on my guild forums based mainly off posts and figures by MorningMusume, this was before his most recent post comparing pure ST and Parakeet tank DPS. If I've got anything wrong with the numbers or I've overlooked anything I'm happy to be corrected; maths isn't my forte!

----------

In tank stance with tank gear, it takes around 6% more damage assuming that all attacks can be shielded (they can't, in PVP maybe 25% can be shielded, not sure in PvE but I've read perhaps half). So based on that, perhaps 4% squishier than a pure tank build, but doing more DPS and threat.

The same build, in DPS stance with DPS gear, is thought to do 1074.03 DPS vs 1215.35 DPS for the best full DPS spec.

So Powertechs have a spec available to them that, in tank mode/gear takes ~4-6% more damage but does more DPS/threat as a trade off, and in DPS mode/gear manages to stay fairly bloody competitive with a full DPS build.

-------------

So if I've got that right, what does it mean? For us, it goes some way to solving the common problem of needing more tanks for flash points than we do for operations.

If I can do a quick gear and stance swap and put out DPS not too far under a pure DPS class on single boss fights (which are far too many IMO) it makes our lives easier meeting enrage timers. If we could use another tank for the pylons, for example, I can swap again. If we could use a DPS/off tank for a fight like Jarg and Sorno where one doesn't hit hard, I can use Ion Gas Cylinder wearing DPS gear.

For me at least, that flexibility is worth being a little more squishy for, even if you don't gain DPS as a trade off. Being able to switch to DPS or offtank with the click of a button to suit our needs on specific encounters in ops is worth that to me, while retaining the ability to main tank if someone's away, and tank flash points without having to respec.

The fact that it works great in PvP is the icing on the cake.