The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Powertech beginner pvp questions

smileydogg

I just recently got lvl 50 and I wanna pvp and yeah I have some questions.

is any spec other than pyrotech good in pvp? the retractable blade thing sounds cool, but from what i heard online prototype is a joke, I really like the tank tree but could it be useful in pvp?

Is this game really gear dependent?, cus i specced pyrotech when I got to 50 to pvp and it didnt feel like i was doing alot of dmg or able to take whole lot, it's no problem if it is, i'm just wondering

You will have to adjust your playstile but all trees are more or less viable.

As AP you have to be in meele range most of the time, you get a mobility buff and far more easier heat management, still it feels a little subpar when compared to pyro.

As pyro you have more burst damage, you have a few abilities you can use from 30m while you close the gap to use your rocket punch. It gives you more burst damage which is very important for PvP.

As shieldtech you gain more survivability (ion armor buff) and rocket charge which is great for tackling people. If you change your gear from +power/crit/surge to +shield/defense/absrob your damage will be reduced by a lot but you can still be very viable if you play your role as part of a team and you will be a lot harder to take down if you pair with a healer friend and guard him.

Dont understimate the importance of your utility abilities, in ilum for instance you will get more credit from grappling and jet charging into people than what you will ever get from doing damage plus all meele classes will love you. As with any class carefull positioning, situational awareness and knowing your advantages and disadvantages is the key to sucsess.

Try a few builds and find the one that suits your playstile better, then customize your gear to build on your strenghts and you will be king.

Edited by grinkor

I just recently got lvl 50 and I wanna pvp and yeah I have some questions.

is any spec other than pyrotech good in pvp? the retractable blade thing sounds cool, but from what i heard online prototype is a joke, I really like the tank tree but could it be useful in pvp?

Is this game really gear dependent?, cus i specced pyrotech when I got to 50 to pvp and it didnt feel like i was doing alot of dmg or able to take whole lot, it's no problem if it is, i'm just wondering

There are a few pvp specs floating around most take 18 points in pyro at least for Super Heated Rail and Prototype Particle Accelerator. It's a matter of taste for the various specs, there are many threads covering this topic so I'll let you do the reading and compare the opinions on the specs for yourself.

Personally, I'm liking the "Bulldog"

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hR0MZ0MZbIbbdGhrs.1

The spec runs with Ion Gas Cylinder for extra survivability as opposed to the standard Combustable Gas Cylinder that Pyro would normally use. Some prefer less in Sheild Tech and stick to CGC over IGC for full dps potential. Some others also go deeper into Shield Tech to get Jet Charge, that build is called the Carolina Parakeet, or CP. There are many threads discussing all 3 builds. Just look around.

The game is gear dependent. The expertise stat is king at 50 pvp.