Vent heat rank up

ScionEon

After getting all the way up to level 43 powertech. I have noticed one ability doesn't really get any ranks. Almost ever single ability at the powertech and mercenary's disposal can be ranked up to 2-5 depending on the ability, but the cool down doesn't get any. Now I'm not saying have the rank increase the time for the vent heat ability be shortened in time after every use, but it helps to have it at least vent off more heat then standered half. Half the boss battles make it a little hard to control aggro when the tanks can't even cool down fast enough to keep the aggro on them. Please give the vent heat at least a 2ed ranking for more venting.

aye, heat control is blowing hard atm. Best thing I can do is try my best to use Heat Blast as fast as it comes up like I'm probably suppose to. However I was trying this other build last night without it. Think it's a.. 30/11/0, and man.. impossible to keep my heat down. Either I need a different rotation (which I'm not against), or just respec to my usual spec. Besides the vent heat and heat blast, what else is there to vent heat for a shield tech??

The heat cost of your ranked up DPS skills don't increase, so there is no point to ranking up the heat vented using VH skill. If they did (and that's a big if, it would have to be a small number like 5 extra heat vented). t would become OP by letting you stay at optimal heat levels forever (which then defeats the purpose of heat which is to keep people spamming all their best skills).

Now, I could see one or two higher ranks of Vent Heat having a slightly shorter CD or something, but we have talent trees for that (as well as talents that help us vent extra heat).

Edited by Pwny_Express

I agree with you completely, I guess I was wondering what are your suggestions for keeping heat at good levels? you have a magic rotation, or what talents do you have for such a thing?

Appreciate all the suggestions...

Well I play Merc so my options are different and I've worked out a good rotation the keeps the heat down. Some general tips would be:

1) Use your "auto attack' (Rapid Shots) in between big hits to keep from building heat up too quickly.

2) Keep heat below 40 so it vents faster on its own.

3) Utilize talents that give heat venting.

4) Don't blow all your big hitters in a row or you'll find yourself at high heat really fast.

Useful talents for a Powertech's heat management would be:

Prototype cylinder ventilation

Gyroscopic alignment jets

Superheated rail

Rapid venting

These all seem to be in the Adv. Prototype or Pyrotech trees so Shieldtechs are out of luck I guess. But in PvE it should be easier to manage heat than in PvP anyway.

Using the 31/8/2 build, I'm having no problem with heat or aggro management.

My usual starter for boss fights is:

Jet Charge > Flame Burts (to apply the dmg debuff) > Rocket Punch > Rail Shot

After that I spam Flame Burst, using RP and RS whenever they are up, .

You want your heat to be under 40, if you go over 40, use Heat Blast > Rapid Shots, that should get you back into the <40 zone easily. If your HB is on cooldown, utilize Rapid Shots. That said, you never want to be in a situation where you have to use 2 or more rapid shots after each other.

Basically, if you have your HB up, go crazy with your dps and when you hit 40 heat, use HB > RS.

If you don't have HB up, use Rapid Shots as a filler whenever you are approaching the 40 Heat mark.

Takes a few boss fights to get used to it, but after that you will have no problem tanking while keeping your heat low.

Edited by je-s-ter

Well I play Merc so my options are different and I've worked out a good rotation the keeps the heat down. Some general tips would be:

1) Use your "auto attack' (Rapid Shots) in between big hits to keep from building heat up too quickly.

4) Don't blow all your big hitters in a row or you'll find yourself at high heat really fast.

Superheated rail

Rapid venting

These all seem to be in the Adv. Prototype or Pyrotech trees so Shieldtechs are out of luck I guess. But in PvE it should be easier to manage heat than in PvP anyway.

All this is good info, so I thankyou for your input. 1 and 2 didn't seem as obvious to me as they do now after you stated them.

Superheated rail

Rapid venting

^ This...

I am a BH Merc spec and I have 0 heat management issues...

the difference between an average and great BH (in any spec) is heat management

if you didnt have to worry about overheating, why have heat in the first place

QFT, a cookie cutter rotation is a great start but you need to learn to prioritize your abilities to increase/decrease heat as needed and you need to learn when is worth to go over 40 heat, when to vent het and when to keep heat low by mixing some rapid shots to improve overall dps or burst damage.

Edited by grinkor

the difference between an average and great BH (in any spec) is heat management

if you didnt have to worry about overheating, why have heat in the first place

I am by no means great, I am a casual PVPer, but ranking above bottom with normal questing gear is an achievement in my book.

Maybe I aim low, but I am not whining about how the game mechanics that make for balanced play at level is somehow an inconvenience. I did manage to kill off a lvl 46 last night. (Lvl 18 at the time).

Own horn tooting over.