Recording issues using FRAPS.

Darth_Precursor

Alright, so I've searched the internet and found possible ways to fix my issues, but to no success.

I'm using the full version of FRAPS to record SWTOR gameplay and have all graphics settings on high(not including shadows) with 1440x900 resolution. My graphics card is a GeoForce GT 545, and when playing in-game everything runs extremely smoothly and great. I want to record some gameplay with FRAPS, and this is where the problem begins.

So I have FRAPS on 30 fps (full-size) and have recorded several clips of gameplay. When I preview in Windows Media Player they look fantastic, identical to game quality! I wanted to make quick videos with little editing, getting right to the point, so I opened them in Windows Movie Maker 2.6 (running Windows7) and they looked great still.

However, when I drag them into the timeline the clips become distorted and look terrible in the preview. When I full screen it, it looks like a Nintendo 64 game, with about 20 pixels (exaggeration)

So, if anyone could help, what can I do to make my SWTOR clips look the same as how I recorded them, on youtube?

tl;dr

Recording TOR with FRAPS, gets great quality clips, drag into Windows Movie Maker Timeline, quality turns into steaming crap. How do I improve quality? Recommend reading full version of problem.

Hmm maybe this will help.

Record in 1024 / 720 (change resolution)

then within the editing software set the output for 720HD.

i use Sony Vegas and when you start a new file it asks for dimensions ect for the file you will be editing , i record all my gameplay at 720 HD. not 1080 just because its easier an smaller file sizes.

Now when editing the files it will be a 720 File your editing and it will playback in 720 so there wont be any compression or distortion.

Make sense?

Yeah that makes sense, I have been thinking about getting adobe after effects so i'll get Sony Vegas 11 and Adobe After Effects and try your suggestion.

After some more searching, alot of people seem to say the problem is WMM. That wouldn't be surprising since it screws with the resolution and stuff.

Edited by Darth_Precursor

I have been fiddling around with Frap a bit recently myself, things just look awful if done in WMM Sony Vegas would improve it a lot.

Here is an example of the quality I have been able to get:

http://youtu.be/Be3twcu8fec?hd=1 (ignore the music it is a stock track off youtube, I used it because the original sound track had me and a couple of friends talking on Skype on it.

That was recorded at 1080i, fullscreen 30FPS with lossless RGB capture enabled, this improves the colours and detail of the end results a great deal, but it is quite CPU intensive and the files are twice the size so you need quite a beefy machine to not end up with a slide slow, but if you can use lossless the results above speak for themselves.

Edited by Iliena