The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Newbie Powertech question about missles and CC

Bruticis

Go easy on me, I'm a newbie. I've just started playing my BH Powertech and I'm enjoying it but feel like I'm missing something when it comes to groups. I'm only level 20 so I don't have a lot to work with just yet. My issues is in heroics and flashpoints (I run with some RL friends, both are playing Sith sorcs, one spec'd healing and one damage). They do an excellent job of knocking out the extra mobs to make our fights more manageable. My problem is I don't have a lot of attacks I can use that don't have some kind of AoE on them. I'm stuck with spamming my main attack and rapid shot (rail when it comes up) along with a rocket punch or two. Occasionally I can move in close and find a good angle to use my flamethrower.

Is there something I should be doing differently? Should I try to open up on the mobs first with all my AoEs then let everyone try to lock down the adds? I'm sure it's all coming down to my inexperience so I'd love to get some feedback on how things go for the pros.

eventually your opening attack will kill most of the mobs, but your primary role will be somewhere between a tank and DPS. Watch how fast your friends in their light armor get crushed by heavy hitting mobs and you will know where you place is :p

as you level up the Pyro tree you start doing more damage as well. we never hit the same level as Sith Sorcs but we also don't have to hide in the back.

You will primarily use Flame Burst, Rail Shot and Rocket Punch with random Incin Missles and Explo-dart thrown in adn then rapid shot when you get high heat