How to balance the factions

bigbramble

Here is my idea for faction balance. I ask my self why would I fight for a pathetic, corrupt, decadent faction with American accents like the republic? Answer is I would not. Here is my simple solution. In the story let the empire crush the republic completely and become an under resourced rebellion. Everyone loves the under dog! :p

faction with American accents

I'm British, and I've played my Jedi Shadow to the end of the Storyline, including the aftermath of the defeating the False Emperor. I also have a mid-level Scoundrel and a low level Trooper. This weekend, I decided to create an Empire character, mostly to check prices and availabilty of materials on the other side's GTN (like on most servers, the Republic side on my server is severely outnumbered) -- with a view to selling stuff across via the Hutt network GTN. It was all fine and fun until I reached Dromund Kaas -- and I find the "British" accents severely jarring. They're much more Dick Van Dyke Mockney than Peter Cushing "Public School and Oxbridge". I might learn to live with that, but, urgh...!

I can accept the American accents of the Republic much more readily than that. (I really do wish that the Hollywood Shorthand of "British Accent = intelligent villain" hadn't been followed quite so carefully by Bioware, when in Star Wars it was more due to the fact that, being filmed just north of London, it was far easier to hire a load of (cheap, local) British actors to fill in the small roles than bring across a lot of US extras, or shoot the whole thing in the US).

Edited by Ancaglon

Really? I found the innuendo laden dialogue with Poirot-esque imitations of British accents to be hilarious. Seriously you can't walk 100m in Imperial territory without being accosted by one of its strapping gents looking to upgrade your arsenal with the best hardware for the best prices.

If you listen carefully there's the odd Scottish, Irish and Mancunian accent lying around as well.

For me the American accent on its own wasn't jarring. It was the saccharine touches to the American VA and script which made me cringe and the fact that many accents were overdone. Indeed they were as overdone as the British voices except not in a vaguely homoerotic and thus funny way.

Combine that with the monodimensional nature of the Republic's characters and storylines seriously put me off Republic from the get go.

If the Sith were like that (i.e. populated by "Rawr Darkside" types like Jaesa or Thana) I'd probably hate it as a faction as well. But Sith goes significantly into shades of grey and still prove to be interesting.

Edited by Lexandar