The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pyrotech with Ion Gas Cylinder?

Minoeske

What does everyone think of using IGC with a full Pyrotech spec? When I started PvPing I was first playing around with the ST/PT hybrid build but now switched to full pyrotech, however I can't seem to let go of Ion Gas Cylinder. I tried CGC for a bit but I felt like I lost waaaay too much survivability. Am I losing out on too much DPS if I keep IGC on?

Also, I haven't done much endgame PvE yet, but do I have to be high up in Shield Tech if I want to tank Heroics? Or could I also do it with full Pyrotech + IGC?

IGC with Pyro is definitely feasible and I do it from time to time. I end about 40k less on damage but I keep healers alive and I get more medals out of it so not a big deal. A drawback is I dont get my slow that I get when I use the CGC. The only other downside is its more heat intensive since you dont have the dot that CGC puts on them and I end up using incendiary missile more than I would like so I can use railshot.

As far as heroics in that setup its doable with good gear and ironically I end up holding aggro better because I am doing so much more damage and we kill mobs and bosses faster.

Best solution is to get the slow from the shieldtech tree. I have been using this build for a few days now. You can mix gear to achieve the amount of shielding that you want.

Please appreciate the awesomeness that shielding an attack gives a chance to reset rocket punch, this gives you a 45% chance to reset rail shot. Making you a beast...

Also seen a more shield tech orientated build, to get the charge. But I wouldn't want to live without 30% damage on rail shot.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGbb0bZ0MZbIbbdG0M.1

also note that the major odwnside of this spec is that is not only relies on having some shield rating (easy with battlemaster implants / woot @ 100SR) but it also relies on people attacking you to both vent heat an secondly to reset rocket punch. Shield a likely target however and you will basically be a slightly gimpe tank with GOOD dps. Instead of a tank with balls or a dps with balls shielding. Much love. Hugs and Kisses to my fellow powertechs.

Best solution is to get the slow from the shieldtech tree. I have been using this build for a few days now. You can mix gear to achieve the amount of shielding that you want.

Please appreciate the awesomeness that shielding an attack gives a chance to reset rocket punch, this gives you a 45% chance to reset rail shot. Making you a beast...

Also seen a more shield tech orientated build, to get the charge. But I wouldn't want to live without 30% damage on rail shot.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hRGbb0bZ0MZbIbbdG0M.1

also note that the major odwnside of this spec is that is not only relies on having some shield rating (easy with battlemaster implants / woot @ 100SR) but it also relies on people attacking you to both vent heat an secondly to reset rocket punch. Shield a likely target however and you will basically be a slightly gimpe tank with GOOD dps. Instead of a tank with balls or a dps with balls shielding. Much love. Hugs and Kisses to my fellow powertechs.

i tried that same spec yesterday but really it doesn't work if you're not being attacked... my dps in warzones was way lower and i couldn't manage a <50 heat because of the railshot thing, i had way more surv but no one attacked me (they did but not constantly)

absolutely agree. It's therefore useless for PVE, unless you intent to tank. What I woul reccomen trying however is to change your playstyle slightly. The way I foun it worke best was to Guar a healer (an as im imperial an therefore only play hutball) hang aroun their zone, trying to attract trouble. I'm 90% sure the attacks you shiel through guar also serve to vent heat. Re the rail shot proc. I can only reccomen a macro mouse, as then you can forget about having to watch for RS procs an get on with focusing on the game.