i5 2500k running at 70c?

Cold

Just installed a core i5 2500k. It's idle at ~35c and up to 73c in ToR. Any ideas on the issue?

I was thinking I could pop this thing in and crack it up to 4.0ghz easy. /wrong.

It's not overclocked, HS/Fan is XIGMATEK LOKI SD963.

there are a few things you look at:

- bad case with insuficient airflow

- cluster of wires blocking airflow

- too much thermal paste

- warped contact plate on the heatsink

there is also the possibility of a defective chip, never rule that out because it does happen.

i can tell you that my 2600K at 4.6ghz runs TOR at 55-57C across all 4 cores, running on air (DF85 case + Corsair A70 heatsink).

I have the i5 2400 and I had to buy and aftermarket heatsink due to the fact that the intel one wouldnt clamp down. I got the coolermaster hyper 212 or w/e and i dont go over 50C on stress test idle at 24-30c. Games hit to 40-50 when playing because the way I have my fans setup.

Just installed a core i5 2500k. It's idle at ~35c and up to 73c in ToR. Any ideas on the issue?

I was thinking I could pop this thing in and crack it up to 4.0ghz easy. /wrong.

It's not overclocked, HS/Fan is XIGMATEK LOKI SD963.

also check your settings in the bios to see if your votages are at stock... dosnt hurt to look at everything.

The system temp is 26* when the cpu is at 70* (system thermal probe is just hanging in the middle of the case. I'll check the wires but I dont think they are blocking. I'll aslo check the plate on the heatsink. And reapply the paste in a very small portion.

Also, this could be a give away to those savvy in this area. I have a thermal probe attached to the last plate on the heatsink (this sink has abt 30 horizontal plates stacked up) and the temp on that probe reads 30* while the cpu reads 70*.

Hi there!

There are existing discussion threads regarding computer hardware which you may find very helpful:

You can also check out our General FAQs for information about minimum system specifications.

In the interest of consolidating discussion, we have closed this thread. Please use one of the topics linked above for further questions and discussion of hardware specifications. Thank you!